Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need to thread a larger bolt hole

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Nov 2009, 04:11 am
Young Cruiser

Default Need to thread a larger bolt hole

I was putting the tranny pan back on and one of the bolts stripped out.

I finger tightened, did 120in lbs and was doing the 165 and it was either the last or close to it.

It has a 10mm hex head and looks like a 20thread per inch 5/16"
Anybody know the next size up?
Old 25 Nov 2009, 08:12 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Need to thread a larger bolt hole

To my knowledge, there is no 5/16-20...so it is probably a M8 metric. Unfortunately, 5/16 is a bit smaller than 8mm so re-tapping for 5/16 is out. If you can't clean up the remaining threads (if any), the next size up is M10. You may want to consider the heli-coil route so that all the screws will be 8mm. There is not a lot of extra material on the flange so be careful with an oversize hole. Another thought would be to fill the hole with something like Devcon or JB weld and re-drill and tap.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 07:16 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the advice, Carl. Fortunately there is a good deal of meat (ok, aluminum) on that corner. I like the heli-coil idea and keeping the bolt the same. It might keep a screw up from happening again with somebody trying a wrong size bolt in a right-size hole... umm, or vice-versa.

I just finished a work of art (I got pics) on a 1996 Lincoln Town Car Intake that has a plastic radiator header flange. It was not recommended but I couldn't afford a new one, especially if I had to get a mechanic to do it.

Anyhow, I guess that is like 14 ft lbs at 170 in lbs, can JB-Weld take that? If so, which product would you recommend and how long should I let it cure before threading and torquing it? Does O'Really have heli-coils? That is all that is in this itty bitty town. I got cattle across my back fence... which is also the city limits.

...this is almost fun... a PITA but interesting.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 10:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

If you try the JB weld, use the regular stuff and not the quick setting...the quick setting is not as strong. Be sure the hole is clean...use a solvent like acetone to make sure the hole is oil free. Hey, it's worth a try... only a few bucks and you'll have most of the tubes left for future repairs. Let the stuff set up for the full cure period. Good luck.
Old 26 Nov 2009, 04:53 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Did some research, the local O'Reilly has a 8mmx1.25mm heli-coil insert kit for $27. Assuming that is the size you need, if they don't have one at the store near you they should at least be able to order it. Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 26 Nov 2009, 06:03 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks! Not much open today but tomorrow I'll take the bolt with me to be sure I get the right one. I wish they had some of the other options like the pones with the lip that keeps it from screwing further in. I bet that's a real problem on a shell where it could drop into the works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
Did some research, the local O'Reilly has a 8mmx1.25mm heli-coil insert kit for $27. Assuming that is the size you need, if they don't have one at the store near you they should at least be able to order it. Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 27 Nov 2009, 08:40 am
Young Cruiser

Back to your original question, the next step up from 5/16ths would be 6/16ths or 3/8ths. Crossing fingers for the JBWeld or heli-coil, whichever you decide.