Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Knocking and Squealing Sounds.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Nov 2009, 02:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Knocking and Squealing Sounds.

So I'm a tad over the time when I am supposed to get an oil change. I know this is not cool, but I have been very gentle.

I have a slight knocking sound coming from the engine. I only heard it for the first time today. It is very steady and can only be heard from the outside while car is at Idle. Just wondering if doing an oil change would most likely fix this.

SECOND ISSUE:

Whenever I stop my cruiser it belches out this horrifying squeal! It is not the brakes because it continues to do it while fully stopped. When I accelerate away it gets extremely loud and then stops. I just replaced a belt last year that was on the right side of the car this sound is definitely more towards the drivers side.

Also whenever I put my brakes on while driving down the highway my lights seem to brighten and then dim very quickly.
Old 04 Dec 2009, 06:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Knocking and Squealing Sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyMcTrickPants View Post
So I'm a tad over the time when I am supposed to get an oil change. I know this is not cool, but I have been very gentle.

I have a slight knocking sound coming from the engine. I only heard it for the first time today. It is very steady and can only be heard from the outside while car is at Idle. Just wondering if doing an oil change would most likely fix this.

SECOND ISSUE:

Whenever I stop my cruiser it belches out this horrifying squeal! It is not the brakes because it continues to do it while fully stopped. When I accelerate away it gets extremely loud and then stops. I just replaced a belt last year that was on the right side of the car this sound is definitely more towards the drivers side.

Also whenever I put my brakes on while driving down the highway my lights seem to brighten and then dim very quickly.
Im not a mechanic or any kind of expert but it seems like the belt that connects your alternator is bad or the tension isn't right... Or your alternator is bad and is hard for your engine to move when at idle so it just moves the belt causing squealing....

You shouldn't ever hear a knocking noise from your engine because your a little over a oil change, the only time you would hear that from not getting a oil change is either, your car is burning oil and there is none left, or when there is so much sludge from not changing your oil that it cant pump oil to your valves anymore.... which usually happens if your 30k+ over a oil change

Can you hear the knocking sound when you rev your car? If so does it speed up?

If it does you could have a broken piston or rod, i would probably get it checked out.

How many miles is on your car?
Old 05 Dec 2009, 07:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Knocking and Squealing Sounds.

My car just hit the 50k mark, and I may have exaggerated the knocking its more of a rhythmic tapping. And when I rev my engine I cannot hear it but it does squeak when I rev.

I'm going to go to a couple different mechanics and have the alternator and serpentine belt checked. Hopefully its just the belt and not the tensioner pully or anything like that.