Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Auto belt tensioner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Nov 2009, 02:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Auto belt tensioner

I just ordered a new serpentine belt, alt belt and auto tensioner for my 2003 pt gt with about 83,000 miles on it! My question is how do you replace the tensioner itself? I know how to loosen the tensioner to take the belt off however I dont know how to take the tensioner itself off to replace! If anyone knows anything about this whole process that would be very helpfull
Old 27 Nov 2009, 05:13 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Auto belt tensioner

Never did this on a PT, but it looks like you may have to get at it by removing the right front wheel and the plastic splash shield behind it to get at it. You know how to release tension to get the belt off,so after you do that, remove the tensioner mounting bolt (this is not the pulley bolt you rotated clockwise to relieve tension but rather the other bolt on the tensioner assembly) and the automatic tensioner assembly can be removed. Replace with new tensioner. Book says torque specs for mounting bolt is 40 ft-lb (you may want to double check this). As mentioned, never did this on a PT myself but the above info is based on my experience doing this on other vehicles and info from a PT repair manual. Probably there are others on here more experienced on the PT (rather new to the PT myself) that can give you more specific advice.

Last edited by Carl48; 27 Nov 2009 at 05:19 pm. Reason: clarify
Old 28 Nov 2009, 09:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Auto belt tensioner

Hey thank you for your help on the matter!!!