Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Changed the control arm bushings...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Nov 2009, 01:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Changed the control arm bushings...

Ach! I hereby banish the engineer or beancounter who appoved the PTs bushings to an eternity of changing all 1.3 million PT Cruisers bushings!

Hand tools with a c clamp, a bench vise, and a bench grinder with wire wheel (thank goodness!).

Thanks everyone who has posted their experiences, all the tips made it MUCH easier.

I wish I knew who posted this particular tip (I read so many here and elsewhere) so I could give them proper credit: bend down the bottom part of the vertical bushing bracket to make it easier to install the LCA in. A hammer did nicely

Not only did I do that, when I was still having trouble I took a bar and bent it down further in, by the screw hole.

And sure enough, that big bolt just sucked it right up into place on reinstall, nice!, and no problem.

Did the front and rear sway bars/links too. 3 of the 4 bolts on the front snapped, and both the rears. Yay.

And the rear sway bar link bushings, good luck getting them in with a vise. I tried freezing them, swearing at them, asking them nicely, nothing worked. I ended up putting a chamfer on them with the bench grinder, popped right in.

Still get a squeek when backing up, I'm guessing the Watts bushings. I've still got the rear trailing arm bushings too, but think I'll hold off on that.

Energy bushings, master kit. And yep, the old LCA bushings were bad (fell out when I pulled the arms). Sway bushings were bad too. What a difference in ride! And the 3 part LCA bushings weren't bad (with the opening bent open ).

Still I'd rather change the tranny, or the timing belt. This whole overrated age thing has me tending to technical challenges over brute force!

Pete

Last edited by PetePT; 30 Nov 2009 at 01:09 pm.