Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
p0441 - Evaporative purge flow system not working properly: A few questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Dec 2009, 11:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default p0441 - Evaporative purge flow system not working properly: A few questions

Hello--I see this has been covered before but have a few questions of my own and the other threads seem old enough not to revive them. I have an 03 PT Cruiser and recently I have been getting a check engine light and error code p0441 - Evaporative purge flow system not working properly.

Here is what I'm wondering:

1) I recently had the battery go bad and replaced it, which includes removing the air intake. Could this have anything to do w/ it? I should mention that I noticed the light come on pretty much immediately after I did this and not before. Or is there maybe something else in the vicinity that I could have knocked out of place or something?

2) Is there some way to tell if the gas cap is bad w/o buying a new one? I have tried tightening the current one and it hasn't seemed to do any good.

3) If I take it to an auto parts store and have them hook it to their little computer reader, will it tell me anything more than the p0441 error code?

4) Is it OK to keep driving it w/ this light on? It drives not one little bit differently than it did before.

Thanks!
Old 02 Dec 2009, 04:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: p0441 - Evaporative purge flow system not working properly: A few questions

Sounds like the purge solenoid may need replacing. Had the same code on a '04 Hyundai Accent and replaced for $20.00. Easy install....less than a minute. You should be okay for a little bit. I believe the purge solenoid controls the fuel vapor flow so if ignored long enough it may present a bigger problem. I looked n RockAuto and its a $33.75 part. Also do yourself and any other PT owner and by the Chiltons/Haynes Service Manual. It will come in handy.

66CUDA
Old 02 Dec 2009, 06:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: p0441 - Evaporative purge flow system not working properly: A few questions

1) No

2) Not that I know of, but gas cap isn't expensive....

3) Don't think so

4) Yes - unless your state has inspections - they'll fail you if there are error codes.

I'd say try a cap, inspect rubber hose by fuel filler for cracks, then do purge solenoid....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Dec 2009, 10:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks! I guess I will stop by the auto parts store and get a gas cap this evening. How long should it take for the check engine light to turn off? If that doesn't work, I guess I will see if I can't figure out how to change that solenoid.
Old 03 Dec 2009, 01:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalfrank View Post
Thanks! I guess I will stop by the auto parts store and get a gas cap this evening. How long should it take for the check engine light to turn off? If that doesn't work, I guess I will see if I can't figure out how to change that solenoid.
If you lift off the negative battery cable for several minutes, it'll reset the Check Engine light.
If it lights, you still have problem.
I think you sheould get one from dealer - a "universal" one may not seat right, and ours have that tether to keep the gas cap from getting put on the pump and forgotten....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 Dec 2009, 08:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I ended up just getting one at a local place, which was way more convenient for me. Installed it, lifted the negative terminal on the battery and put everything back together... So far so good! I just left it idle for a few minutes but the light hasn't turned back on yet. Hopefully, that won't change once I actually start driving it.
Old 05 Dec 2009, 04:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalfrank View Post
I ended up just getting one at a local place, which was way more convenient for me. Installed it, lifted the negative terminal on the battery and put everything back together... So far so good! I just left it idle for a few minutes but the light hasn't turned back on yet. Hopefully, that won't change once I actually start driving it.
Sounds like you're good to go....
Old 05 Dec 2009, 02:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yep! Had it out for a bit this morning and it's still good. Thanks again!

Tags
evaporative purge flow, p0441