Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
pt stalls and quits after putting into drive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Dec 2009, 11:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool pt stalls and quits after putting into drive

Here I am again with another problem after installing a timing belt.

I just got done installing the timing belt and ensuring the belt is properly timed after the fourth time. I have a number of suggestions on replacing the timing belt, but first, I have a major problem that I cannot resolve.

After installing the timing belt and reassembling I started the PT and it ilded very well and I was pleased with the idle and response with the accel. pedal.

However, when I put the car in drive with the brake on it idles, but when I let up on the brake it instantly dies. I try to start it without completely going to off, and it will turn over, but not start. I turn the key completely off and then start , it idles well. I put the car in drive, or reverse, let the brake off and it dies. There is a code that comes back on P1391, intermittent cam/crank sensor. I replaced the cam and crank sensors with MOPAR units at the time of replacing the timing belt, so I think the sensors are OK. I am at a loss as what else to do. No other codes are being thrown.

I have disconnected the battery at least ten times now, but still the car dies after it is put into drive, let off the brake and then dies.

Anybody have any suggestions, thanks.
Old 04 Dec 2009, 08:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: pt stalls and quits after putting into drive

Follow the sensor wiring - there have been several cases of it rubbing and shorting.
That's one idea - other is the tranny - if the auto clutches are grabbing (does brake disengage them?) that could cause stall. How was the auto before timing belt?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Dec 2009, 09:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I found the problem. It was a wire that got worn thru by the rubber boot to the drive axle. I thought I checked these wires before, but could not see behind the rubber boot until I pulled on the wire and there it was. I am surpised that a little wire could be so difficult to diagnose and not let the car run.
Old 10 Dec 2009, 09:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yup - Happened to Crewzin - that's why I mentioned it.
Glad you found it.
Old 02 Sep 2010, 09:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

I am having the same problem. At least my PT is doing the same thing. If this is the problem, what is the cost of repair?
If it is not my problem what else should I be looking at?
As a note I own a '01 and recently have replaced the thermostat, 4 rotors and brakes, rack and pinion, tire rod and alternator

Last edited by dreammaker; 02 Sep 2010 at 09:15 am.
Old 02 Sep 2010, 11:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If your having the same problem, can you check all the wiring from the camshaft sensor around the back of the engine over to the other side? If not, is that what your asking how much it will cost to look at it? About an hours worth of labor cost at your local dealer. Then depending on what you find, you go from there.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.