Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
E# spark plugs + K&N filter = noticable power increase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Dec 2009, 10:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default E# spark plugs + K&N filter = noticable power increase

originally posted in the wrong category - (the turbo performance one).

Well, I took the plunge and bought the K&N filter that was a direct replacement for the OEM one and a set of E3 spark plugs (just over $60 incl. shipping from Summit Racing). Before I closed everything up, I drilled 7 or 8 half-inch holes in the bottom of the stock air box to help it breathe better. The air filter I replaced looked like new when I took it out. Not a speck of dirt or dust on it.

I wish I'd dyno'd before and after, because those two changes really woke up that little engine! We had 3 full-size adults in the car (around 550 lbs worth) and some luggage/gifts on a trip for Thanksgiving and were able to accelerate up the hills in Western Massachusetts, while similar hills between Boston and Nashua, NH were painful before the upgrade when there were only two of us in the car. My wife is used to driving it all by herself and had a hard time keeping it under 80 with all three of us in the car. We got great mileage, too, although I didn't do the math for exact figures.

Just figured I'd pass this along, as I was amazed at the performance increase in this car. I've got K&N filters on my Silverado and Nova, but they're both not exactly stock anymore, so it was interesting to see the difference on a stock motor that was less than 1/2 the size of the other two.

(original post: Cold Air Intake Sound)
Old 04 Dec 2009, 02:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: E# spark plugs + K&N filter = noticable power increase

I hope you changed the wires....
Your plugs were probably shot.
It's satidfying when the engine wakes up....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 Dec 2009, 02:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Yeah, your plugs must have been really shot cause new plugs and filter don't really give a power boost. Car will just run as well as it is designed. $60 for plugs? Factory or some nice Bosch Platinum plugs would have worked out just as well and would have been a lot cheaper. As long as you're happy.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 04 Dec 2009, 05:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I can't figure out why so many people change out there plug wires,I've got 91,000miles and only had to change plugs at 60,000miles and as far as plugs, champion "regular" copper plugs are fine and still are, and the wires are still fine
Old 04 Dec 2009, 05:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe szostek View Post
I can't figure out why so many people change out there plug wires,I've got 91,000miles and only had to change plugs at 60,000miles and as far as plugs, champion "regular" copper plugs are fine and still are, and the wires are still fine
On BOTH my PTs, I started to get a "miss" at around 20,000 miles. I switched to Crane wires (and put in plugs) and the miss was gone. Measurments of the stock wires show high resistance.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 Dec 2009, 07:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Yeah, your plugs must have been really shot cause new plugs and filter don't really give a power boost. Car will just run as well as it is designed. $60 for plugs? Factory or some nice Bosch Platinum plugs would have worked out just as well and would have been a lot cheaper. As long as you're happy.
It was $60 for the plugs and the filter combined.

The plugs could have been shot, but E3 plugs have been shown to increase power over stock-type plugs. I looked at the old plugs when I took them out. The center electrode wasn't worn or discolored or anything on any of them.

I noticed improvements in both my 74 Nova (with a 383 stroker) and my 5.3 liter '99 Silverado when I installed K&N filters. That's why I opted to replace the standard filter with one that lets more air through.
Old 04 Dec 2009, 09:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by storemike View Post
It was $60 for the plugs and the filter combined.

The plugs could have been shot, but E3 plugs have been shown to increase power over stock-type plugs. I looked at the old plugs when I took them out. The center electrode wasn't worn or discolored or anything on any of them.

I noticed improvements in both my 74 Nova (with a 383 stroker) and my 5.3 liter '99 Silverado when I installed K&N filters. That's why I opted to replace the standard filter with one that lets more air through.
Nobody has ever been able to explain to me how a spark plug can produce more power than the car is designed for. Same thing with an air filter, especially in a computer controlled car and with Mopar the computer does not like mods and will go right back to established parameters. Luckily, the PT turbo and my Neon SRT-4 can reprogram the computer with the Diablosport Predator or the SCT handhelds so parameters can be changed and stay that way. Only then can mods be totally beneficial.

Old 04 Dec 2009, 11:59 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to fljohnboy

I have the E3's and KN filter and new wires. The seat of the pants dyno felt the same to me.
Old 05 Dec 2009, 03:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fljohnboy View Post
I have the E3's and KN filter and new wires. The seat of the pants dyno felt the same to me.
Gotta love the butt dyno that wants to justify the money spent and the hope that it may even help. While new plugs, wires or air filter definitely help the car run to specs I wish adding power was that easy and cheap. I'd be a lot richer and I'd be running 10's in the 1/4 mile instead of 12's.

Old 07 Dec 2009, 09:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

Kinda reminds me of the good old days when someone would install a way too big carb with mechanical secondary's on a too small stock engine...The result of the seat of the pants dyno run was fantastic---the reality was when the throttle was quickly opened from a cruse position the engine would die then pick back up and give you a good neck pop..Good old days

YES ! That is a Ron Paul for President Sticker..

Growing OLD is Natural - Growing UP is Optional It's NEVER too late to have a Happy Childhood

Ed Sidders , Lake-O The-Pines , Northeast Texas