PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
cruiser will not stop running

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Dec 2009, 10:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default cruiser will not stop running

Hi im a new owner of a 02 dream cruiser and im have a question:

For some reason when i turn it off it will stay running for about 15 secs before it cuts out. Im wondering if anyone else has had that problem on knows how to fix it. The guy i bought the car from said he had replaced the computer trying to fix it the the problem is still here.
Old 05 Dec 2009, 11:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: cruiser will not stop running

Is it running smoothly when you turn it off, or does it cough and splutter and slowly dies off?
Old 05 Dec 2009, 11:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

it coughs and sputters then cuts out
Old 05 Dec 2009, 12:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds like what's called dieseling.

Sometimes caused by using lower grade fuels and carbon build up in the engines. Engine out of tune, timing off. Sometimes just using a few tanks of premium and some of those fuel enhancers, injector cleaners will help. Take it for a good long run on the highway especially if its been a car that only does short trips all the time
Old 05 Dec 2009, 12:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

PiperGeorge might be on the right track. If it's sputtering and coughing, we used to call it "dieseling". It's usually caused by carbon build up. A can of SeaFoam 16oz Motor Treatment by Sea Foam Sales Co - More Gas Additives & Engine Treatments at doitbest.com Might do the trick of cleaning it out. Do a Google search on "SeaFoam". It's messy but does work.
Old 05 Dec 2009, 04:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Would there be carbon problems with only 91k miles on it . It's been over here in here in Germany for the last 5 years and the fuel over here already has a higher octan then the states or could that be the reason for the carbon build up in the first place? ... There high test is 97 octan I have only the car for a month and that's what I have been running.
Old 05 Dec 2009, 06:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

91K miles is plenty of time.
I agree with the others - sure sounds like dieseling or pre-ignition.
I'd also suggest new plugs and wires - it's possible the plugs are acting as glow plugs (as in a diesel).
And there are different methods of rating octane - google it.

"in the old days" - used to give a "highway tune-up". take it on an open road and floor it - it would break up/blow out some of the carbon.

Do you hear a rattling sound (like bolts shaken in a can) when you go up a steep hill?

Car run fine otherwise?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Dec 2009, 07:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yea I hear the rattling when it downshifts going up a steep hill or guning it on the interstate ... I have ordered plugs as of today I'll go ahead and order wires too to do them at the same time since I have to wait for them to come on the mail I'll get the cleaner to see of that will help aswell Other then that it's a great car. I'm becoming fan of the PT's. Thanks for all the help. And anymore to follow.
Old 05 Dec 2009, 07:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Pinging isn't good for the engine. See if you can find a bottle of octane booster and follow the directions. It should be okay in conjunction with the seafoam.