PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine turns over and but dosen't start first thing in morning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Dec 2009, 06:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine turns over and but dosen't start first thing in morning

HI
I have a 2005 CRD (119). It started to struggle to start the first time I used it in the day about 6 weeks ago. Eventually battery went flat and called RAC out. They said it was the battery as only charged 48%. Got a new battery (179) same thing happened next day. Then got glow plugs changed and again nothing changed. I am worried about spending more money and not getting to the problem.

Engine turns but does not catch.
I wait for coil light to go out
I press accelerator to floor and only when I pumped it in frustration today did it start!

Please help as I love the car but other half wants to get rid of it if this continues!!
Old 07 Dec 2009, 10:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine turns over and but dosen't start first thing in morning

Welcome.
Where are you? Is it below freezing? Diesels are hard to start in cold. Because of the high compression, the starter has its work cut out for it - in cold, oil and fuel is thicker, and the battery produces less amperage.
Is your fuel treated for cold? Diesle fuel will gel in cold temps.
Suggestion - sythetic oil is better in cold.
Does it have a block heater? That would help as well.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Dec 2009, 03:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi
Many thanks for your post. i am in Fife, Scotland and it has been dipping below zero over night but that is not unusual for here. The car was great all last winter which was quite bitter at times and has lived its whole life in Scotland so I don't think it has had a shock to its system!!

I also use the syn oil. Could it be the fuel filter getting alot of water in it during very wet weather?
Old 08 Dec 2009, 06:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Water in diesel fuel destroys the injectors.
There is fuel treatment for that (and cold temps).
Does it run okay once started? If so, that pretty well rules out water...
Does engine crank fast enough?
With new battery, a slow crank might be corroded cable ends.
Also, there are instances of new batteries being bad - did new one match or exceed the original in Cold Cranking Amperes?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Dec 2009, 09:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi

Yes car runs well for rest of day and starts well after that first inital cough start when first used in the day. Does sound a little slow when cranking first thing but ok rest of the day. Before and after new battery I managed to flatten battery whilst trying to start car. Not sure what you mean by 'Cold Cranking Amperes'?

I used to have a 1972 mini and could work on it no problem and fix all problems. (even when living in central London I did maintance on it!) Oh how cars have changed.......
Old 09 Dec 2009, 09:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Cold Cranking amperes is a measure of battery strength - basically, at low temperature, how many amps can battery put out.
Another measure is Ampere Hours - my point is, sounds like your battery is weak, and I was asking if new one was at least as strong as the original....
Old 13 Dec 2009, 05:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi

Thanks for your post. seemingly my battery is fine. i have however been reading your other posts with similar problems with petrol cars. I suspect it could be the computer going by reading the other posts. I have no idea how much that could cost..... I tried looking here for a idipstick heater online but no luck. Would this fool the computer that it wasn't too cold to start? I have a floating charger which the car is hooked up to now.

A little later.....
-2 out and my car just started after being hooked up to the charger for 4 hours and having not been run since yesterday. Could not start it at 3pm. Is that a computer thing?

I soooo don't want to get get rid of my car!!!!

Last edited by Jimmydog100; 13 Dec 2009 at 06:05 pm.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 08:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Seems to me your battery is weak. Draining a battery completely shortens it's life. Cold weather also reduces the chemical action that a battery uses to produce current. That a trickle charger works seems to prove it.
Does your owner's manual speak of cold starting? On a petrol car, it's push pedal to floor once.

Last edited by quicksilverdon; 13 Dec 2009 at 08:42 pm.
Old 14 Dec 2009, 03:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

I would not suspect the computer just yet. Have had your battery load tested to confirm that it is strong enough?
The fact that the car started OK with the charger on it makes me suspect the battery. I used to work on diesels before they became electronic. Most of the time the batteries would wear down trying to start a cold diesel. If you can't find a dipstick heater, old trick is to leave a light bulb turned on under the hood with a blanket on top (no pillow required). It works better than you think. Just don't put the bulb against any hoses or wiring.
Old 14 Dec 2009, 05:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb15 View Post
I would not suspect the computer just yet. Have had your battery load tested to confirm that it is strong enough?
The fact that the car started OK with the charger on it makes me suspect the battery. I used to work on diesels before they became electronic. Most of the time the batteries would wear down trying to start a cold diesel. If you can't find a dipstick heater, old trick is to leave a light bulb turned on under the hood with a blanket on top (no pillow required). It works better than you think. Just don't put the bulb against any hoses or wiring.
Excellent idea - has to be an incadescent (not fluorescent) bulb, and keep it away from the blanket as well. Those bulbs put out more heat than light.