PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Electrics/ switch problem - computer thinks a door is open

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Dec 2009, 04:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Electrics/ switch problem - computer thinks a door is open

I have had a problem on my 2001 classic PT cruiser since I bought it about a year ago.

just above the mileage reading it displays the word 'door' as if the door is constantly open.

How do I check the door switches to try to find out which door it thinks is open? is there a way to bypass the switch on the door so it tells the computer it is closed?

I am new to working on PTs, much more accustomed to old veedub bugs very simple wiring systems!

any pointers would be great.

thanks
Old 07 Dec 2009, 04:32 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Electrics/ switch problem - computer thinks a door is open

If there is a switch,it will most likely be between the door and the body on the back side and it could be stuck.If so than just spray it with some WD 40,good luck.
Old 07 Dec 2009, 04:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i have seen the rear door switches both of these appear to be moving freely and not stuck, but I cannot lockate the front door switches, does anyone know where they are or how they are wired up?
Old 07 Dec 2009, 05:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

They aren't the old push-button switches, they're sensors. Unfortunately, that's all I know about them...
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Dec 2009, 02:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
They aren't the old push-button switches, they're sensors. Unfortunately, that's all I know about them...
the rear doors on my 2001 classic model have definitely got the push button switches in the body of the car, unless they are for something else?

the fronts have no such push switches so must be the sensors in the latch mechanism.

I think I have narrowed it down to the rear driver side door because this one has been repainted over the latch mechanism screws, making me thing if anything is at fault it is more likely to be this door that has obviously had some work done to it in the past. That I was previously unaware of.
Old 08 Dec 2009, 03:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Front door says it's part of the latch assembly, rear doors and tailgate is a separate switch. Here's from the parts manual, and I'm still looking to find a better shot of this and will keep digging to find some troubleshooting aids for you.

EDIT - okay, found some tests. If you have an DRBIII scan tool you can verify the signal is getting to your door locks appropriately and that you are not emitting false alarms for door ajar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01doorsw.JPG (11.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg doorlocks01.jpg (102.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg doorlocks02.jpg (98.7 KB, 44 views)

I would need my own forum just to list my mods!!!
Remember, a PT Cruiser is not just a car, it's a way of life!
LAUS DEO SEMPER

Please visit the Tech Docs Library and you'll find many of your answers!

Last edited by Chromenut; 08 Dec 2009 at 04:13 pm.
Old 09 Dec 2009, 11:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

thanks, really appreciate that.

I am almost certain it is the driver side rear door. To my understanding the switch just puts the wire to earth when the door is open, so in theory if I just remove the switch, cut the wire back and insulate it it should no longer be going to ground and the computer will think the door is closed. If this doesnt work it could be the case that the wire has been frayed somewhere along its path and is going to ground against the bodywork of the car. that will be fun to trace I am sure!

anyone have much experience of removing the trim panels to access the wiring that runs through the car?
Old 12 Dec 2009, 07:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

could this be the passenger door lock switch aswell? not just the latch switch/ sensor?

had the interior panels out and I think I have ruled out the rear 2 switches by first disconnecting them and then wiring the loom direct to earth, made no difference still thinks a door is open.

It cant be the tailgate because the tailgate warning is not on the dash (and does come on when tailgate is open)

It cant be the drivers door because the car goes crasy and beeps lots when you open the drivers door with the ignition on so it would be doing this all the time if it thought this door was open.

So I now think it must be the passenger door latch switch or maybe the door lock switch if these are wired up to the door ajar warning system?
Old 14 Dec 2009, 11:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

any advice?
Old 15 Dec 2009, 12:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

help!