PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How can you tell if you need new wheel bearings???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Dec 2009, 06:38 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to Ironman
Default How can you tell if you need new wheel bearings???

Well, I just got new tires half way through last winter, "Michelin Destinys" Now, lately, I have been paying attention to the way the car feels, and I noticed something. When the car is rolling at lower speeds (especially from a "cold start") I can feel what I can only describe as almost a grinding feeling through my feet on the floor and pedals. However, I can't really hear it, and I don't feel it through my seat or steering wheel. Is this normal? or is it the tires or worse yet, the bearings?
Non Turbo, Automatic Transmission 2003 Touring Edition, 104,xxx miles so far. Extras- cruise control, fog lights, sun roof, rear defroster, ABS, rear disk brakes, six speaker sound system, power locks, power windows, A.C., window tint, locking glove box. My personal mods so far- removed white air restricter, white hibiscus flowers sticker above the rear hatch lock, nice white primer/rust splotch underneath the passenger side tail light from bodywork...more to come once the money starts flowing freer and the car is payed off
Old 08 Dec 2009, 01:47 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: How can you tell if you need new wheel bearings???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Well, I just got new tires half way through last winter, "Michelin Destinys" Now, lately, I have been paying attention to the way the car feels, and I noticed something. When the car is rolling at lower speeds (especially from a "cold start") I can feel what I can only describe as almost a grinding feeling through my feet on the floor and pedals. However, I can't really hear it, and I don't feel it through my seat or steering wheel. Is this normal? or is it the tires or worse yet, the bearings?

How's your brake pads?

2010 Classic in Deepwater Blue w/Grey Interior
2008 Bullitt Mustang #901
Old 08 Dec 2009, 02:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Brakes are a good call for sure.

This used to be the way we checked, back in the rear wheel drive days of yore: When you put the car up to check the brakes give the (still tightened) tire a good shake side to side and up and down and feel for movement (after you've set your jack stands, of course!).

It shouldn't move much. If it does have a second person handy to shake while you visually and by feel check the front end components, tierod ends etc. If they seem tight, but the wheel still has excessive movment, you're probably right about the bearings. Heck spin the wheel and listen (if it grinds it could still be the brakes). This is ALL iirc.

I'd give the brakes a once over anyway. And there's always the trusted shop.

This makes me think Foxworthy-ish: "If your tire passes you up on the freeway, you might have bad bearings."

(I know it doesn't work that way. We hope )

Good luck.

Pete
Old 09 Dec 2009, 10:29 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to Ironman

hmm, well, I do need to do an oil change, and shoot some grease into the bushing because she's squeaking rather badly on the passenger side (especially when I have a passenger riding along) and I hear clunking from time to time when I turn the wheel (both ways, but more prevalent when I turn it to the right) However...right now that would mean going out and digging my car out of two feet of snow, in 20 degree weather, driving 45 minutes to get the oil and filter...and then going back home and doing all this out on the unploughed street
Non Turbo, Automatic Transmission 2003 Touring Edition, 104,xxx miles so far. Extras- cruise control, fog lights, sun roof, rear defroster, ABS, rear disk brakes, six speaker sound system, power locks, power windows, A.C., window tint, locking glove box. My personal mods so far- removed white air restricter, white hibiscus flowers sticker above the rear hatch lock, nice white primer/rust splotch underneath the passenger side tail light from bodywork...more to come once the money starts flowing freer and the car is payed off
Old 09 Dec 2009, 10:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Isn't that SNAFU??

At least it'd be frozen, so your wet trouble light won't be shocking you lol.

You could always do the 'I need an estimate' thing at a local garage, see what they say. "Well, not only are the bearings bad, but your congronkulator is showing serious wear and needs changed. While we're in there we might as well varnish your subframe bolts and renooberate your exhaust. Figure $1300 give or take."

Good luck.

Pete
Old 09 Dec 2009, 09:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

Try Les Schwab - they diagnosed for free wether I needed wheel bearings or not - Then replaced them and the shaft - very reasonable priced.