Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
DOORS WON'T UNLOCK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Dec 2009, 09:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default DOORS WON'T UNLOCK

2004 GT. Battery checks fine 12.6V and correct CCA's by local auto parts dudes.

Today the front doors will not unlock - only way to open them is from inside door handle. Fob won't - key won't - switch on door won't - can't even pull up inside buttons. Had to climb in the deck lid to get into car.

Appears the lock power is stuck on.

What's broken?

Last edited by lmmegt; 08 Dec 2009 at 01:47 pm.
Old 08 Dec 2009, 07:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: DOORS WON'T UNLOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmmegt View Post

What's broken?

Probaby this ....

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Dec 2009, 01:46 pm
Regular Cruiser

Stealership says it needs BOTH door locks...........

So let's add this to the list on 5 year old PT with only 33K on the odometer:

Gas tank sending unit. (When new under warranty - took dealer 2 trys to get it right)

Out of warranty fixes:
Upper motor mount
A/C hose
Camshaft sensor
Front wheel bearings
Both door locks

Last edited by lmmegt; 09 Dec 2009 at 04:08 pm.
Old 08 Dec 2009, 04:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you have both door locks replaced, please ask the dealer that if that doesn't fix your problem, do you get your money back. I don't understand why both door locks would happen to go bad at the same time on a car with 33K.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Dec 2009, 04:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
If you have both door locks replaced, please ask the dealer that if that doesn't fix your problem, do you get your money back. I don't understand why both door locks would happen to go bad at the same time on a car with 33K.
Ditto, I find that highly suspect.
Old 08 Dec 2009, 05:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I dont understand the not being aboe to pull the locks ou from the inside????

hey you know what if you try to open your hatch after you lock the car wiht the key bob you will set of the alarm????????? and it took me awhile to be smart enought to figure out how to shut it off---hit the panic button and it will quit
Old 08 Dec 2009, 05:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I found reference to testing these but you need an OBD scan tool. Are you sure that one of your door lock buttons isn't stuck locking them constantly?

Here's an excerpt from the maintenance manual on these...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg doorlocks01.jpg (101.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg doorlocks02.jpg (97.8 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Chromenut; 08 Dec 2009 at 05:50 pm.
Old 08 Dec 2009, 08:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would bet on either the RKEM or one of the door lock rocker switches in the door, and if I had to guess further - I'd go with a door switch.
I don't buy both front locks going bad simultaneously.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Dec 2009, 04:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post

Tell me about it.......... Something tells me that won't fix it and next they want to jack the price further to replace the transmitor or switches.....

Plus we went back to get personal items out of the car - and only the driver's door panel was off. Apparently the mechanic has ESP or gathered both are bad by osmosis........

Think I better call and talk to the service manager......

Same stealership that charged us $1K to recharge A/C by the time they claimed we needed hoses and motor mounts....

Last edited by lmmegt; 09 Dec 2009 at 04:09 pm.
Old 09 Dec 2009, 04:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

Reached the Service Manager and he did sound very knowledgeable...... He said with the locks recieving power but stuck in one direction that indicates bad door switches/solenoids. I voiced my concern about the passenger door not even disassembled - he said they tend to go out in pairs not really needing to open the other door to know it's bad - the drivers door controls both doors...... yada yada........

Guess I hope of the best - this place never has parts in stock either - promised out by Friday. They did give us a loaner amazingly - a Dodge Caliber - what a POS basic Caliber's are......... Oh but the Caliber has illuminated halo cup holders - and an arrow on the dash to the side that your fuel door is - but no odometer is visable, only outside temp and gear selector........

Guess I try a new dealer if something they have to handle next time - if the wife still has this car - she is getting real sour on the repairs on such a low mileage GT and swears no more Chryslers or Dodges.......

Last edited by lmmegt; 09 Dec 2009 at 09:25 pm.