PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Upon Cold Start in Cold Weather, Loud Noise??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Dec 2009, 03:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Upon Cold Start in Cold Weather, Loud Noise??

Hi guys,

I have been here a few times, and have gotten nothing but great advice from you folks, and I was wondering if you could help me out.

I live in the St. Louis, MO area. Last night, for instance, it was 11 degrees. 15 this morning. Upon a cold start (let's say more than three hours without a previous run) in cold weather (let's say 35 and under approx.) the car will make a terribly loud whining sound for about 5 seconds and settle down into the "normal" groove.

It has been doing this now (only in cold weather and start) since I got it a year ago. Since then the plugs, t-belt, serpantine belts, tensioner, idler pully, struts, and a few other things (water pump, oil multiple times) have been changed, but it still makes this odd sound.

It has only not started once last winter. Every other time under these conditions it starts but has that weird high pitch whiny sound for a few seconds.

I haven't taken it to my mechanic, yet, as I am trying to avoid spending more than the $2000 that has gone into this car. It is a NA 2001 LE Auto. Someone told me (non-mechanic) that this could be the flywheel or starter motor.

If anyone could help that would be great. Thanks.

Paul

Last edited by paulrosenthal; 15 Jun 2011 at 09:58 am.
Old 10 Dec 2009, 04:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Upon Cold Start in Cold Weather, Loud Noise??

High-pitched sound is usually a belt - unlike nearly everything else, rubber expands when cold and shrinks when warm, so after start, noise goes away.
Open hood, have someone else start, and you look/listen for noise to pinpoint.
Could be just an adjustment.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Dec 2009, 04:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
High-pitched sound is usually a belt - unlike nearly everything else, rubber expands when cold and shrinks when warm, so after start, noise goes away.
Open hood, have someone else start, and you look/listen for noise to pinpoint.
Could be just an adjustment.
Thanks for your response, QuickSilverDon.

Are there any belts in perticular that would cause this? I have had almost all (if not all) replaced in the last year, and it did it last year and still does it, so I am not totally sure about the belt idea. Are there any more belts?

Thanks!
Old 10 Dec 2009, 05:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My PT doesn't see WI winters, but I can say that I've had GM products (Impala, Monte Carlo) that have cold start noise due to low power steering reservoirs.

For what that's worth... Easier to check/fix than a belt too, but you may end up there anyway!
Old 10 Dec 2009, 09:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to Ironman

It could also be the power steering pump, A belt would squeal more than whine. If it's the power steering pump then don't worry about it. It is annoying yes, but all that is happening is air got into the system, I had my pump replaced, and now it does it all the more. Unless you are losing power to the steering system, you need not worry.
Non Turbo, Automatic Transmission 2003 Touring Edition, 104,xxx miles so far. Extras- cruise control, fog lights, sun roof, rear defroster, ABS, rear disk brakes, six speaker sound system, power locks, power windows, A.C., window tint, locking glove box. My personal mods so far- removed white air restricter, white hibiscus flowers sticker above the rear hatch lock, nice white primer/rust splotch underneath the passenger side tail light from bodywork...more to come once the money starts flowing freer and the car is payed off
Old 11 Dec 2009, 07:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
It could also be the power steering pump, A belt would squeal more than whine. If it's the power steering pump then don't worry about it. It is annoying yes, but all that is happening is air got into the system, I had my pump replaced, and now it does it all the more. Unless you are losing power to the steering system, you need not worry.
If sound is a whine or "moan" - have to agree. Belts are more a "screech".
Old 11 Dec 2009, 07:23 am
Regular Cruiser

A bit more information would be nice-

When the belts and such were replaced; were any of the pulleys or tensioners replaced?

You symptoms are pretty classic to a failinging belt tensioner/pulley.

Keep us informed on your findings.
Old 31 Jan 2010, 10:42 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEH20 View Post
A bit more information would be nice-

When the belts and such were replaced; were any of the pulleys or tensioners replaced?

You symptoms are pretty classic to a failinging belt tensioner/pulley.

Keep us informed on your findings.
I know it's been a while since this thread began, but I would like to give an update. I know on the timing belt the tensioner and idler pulley were replaced. As to the accessory/serpent belts, I'm not sure. My best guess would be no.

I cleaned the throttle body yesterday. I had suspected that possibly this could be the idle control motor or the throttle body opening upon start. I'm leaning to think that the idle control motor is not the issue.

I have a feeling it may be the power steering pump. I have heard of these making noise on other Cruisers. The pump itself is functioning correctly, steering is well, doesn't lose power, and vibrates at speeds of 60+ (tires need replacing). Is there a way I can possibly check this pump to see if it makes the noise?

The real problem with diagnosing this is trying to figure out where it's coming from. The more I hear the sound, the less I think it sounds like a belt, but a pump could be to blame.

Thanks!

Paul

Last edited by paulrosenthal; 15 Jun 2011 at 09:59 am.
Old 31 Jan 2010, 09:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: Upon Cold Start in Cold Weather, Loud Noise??

You should be able to buy a cheap stethescope on line, or at a local university bookstore. Then.......
Search the old fashioned way for the noise.

and ...QuickSilver 2.....the 2010 Couture Edition.
And....The 2005 Dream Cruiser Convertible....."My Chocolate Covered Cruiser".
Old 09 Feb 2010, 04:03 pm
Young Cruiser

Hi PT People,

I have been here a few times, and have gotten nothing but great advice from you folks, and I was wondering if you could help me out.

I live in the St. Louis, MO area. Last night, for instance, it was 11 degrees. 15 this morning. Upon a cold start (let's say more than three hours without a previous run) in cold weather (let's say 35 and under approx.) the car will make a terribly loud whining sound for about 5 seconds and settle down into the "normal" groove.

It has been doing this now (only in cold weather and start) since I got it a year ago. Since then the plugs, t-belt, serpantine belts, tensioner, idler pully, struts, and a few other things (water pump, oil multiple times) have been changed, but it still makes this odd sound.

It has only not started once last winter. Every other time under these conditions it starts but has that weird high pitch whiny sound for a few seconds.

I haven't taken it to my mechanic, yet, as I am trying to avoid spending more than the $2000 that has gone into this car. It is a NA 2001 LE Auto. Someone told me (non-mechanic) that this could be the flywheel or starter motor.

If anyone could help that would be great. Thanks.

Paul

I live in STL and have the same problem on my 06 Cruiser. When it warms up it goes away. I have about 45,000 on it. I had it checked by the dealer under warranty and they couldn't find anything wrong.