Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
heat - defrost problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Dec 2009, 05:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default heat - defrost problems

Hello I am new to this forum and unfortunely my first post is a problem. My wife's 01 cruiser had some overheating problems this summer and we had a new water pump (and belt) installed and new petcock for the radiator. Even before this the cars heat was less than good. If you let the car heat up to operating temp and turn the heat on it is nice and hot but cools to warm quickly. If your turn it to defrost it goes from warm to cold. Both lines going to heater core are hot and no leaks. removed center console and vent and the vent doors seem to be working ok. I was told air bubble so I put it up on ramps and run it for a while. It didnt seem to help. I was hoping for some suggestions before i give up and take it the dealer. Seems like they just like to throw parts at it to see if works and i am laid off so can't afford that option if I can help it. Jeff
Old 16 Dec 2009, 05:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: heat - defrost problems

Jeff,

It is possible you could have air trapped in the heater core. There's a bleed valve just below the cap on the thermostat (see pic below). It's also possible that the thermostat isn't opening up properly so the hot water isn't circulating, but that should cause some overheating problems which you say is all fixed.

Old 16 Dec 2009, 06:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks I will try that tomorrow.
Old 18 Dec 2009, 11:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for your help. It seemed to help alot. Even though I had the radiator flushed and new waterpump, no one had bleed the system. the valve had never been touched. Will let the wife have her car back to see what she thinks
Old 19 Dec 2009, 11:51 am
Young Cruiser

im kinda having the same problems. with that bleed valve, is that somethin i should take all the way off? or just loosen it up? im a total nub when it comes to workn on cars. also was wondering if replacing the rad cap would make any difference.
thanks
Old 19 Dec 2009, 12:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Lust loosen the bleed valve and you should here air escaping if it's trapped inside, if not "hot" water will come out. Be careful. Sometimes you have to do it a couple times so the air gets around to the point where you can let it escape. You have to test the radiator cap off the car. It could be bad and cause problems, yes. Let the cap cool and close up. Get a pan of boiling water and drop the cap in it. It should open up fully in the boiling water. Again .....be careful!!!
Old 23 Dec 2009, 01:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

bleeding the system helped a little but it was short lived. next day no heat/defrost. tryed bleeding the system a couple more times and come up with same result. Lost
Old 23 Dec 2009, 08:50 pm
Young Cruiser

im having an issue now that when idleing, when the heat kicks on my belts squeak. but the heater only kicks on for just a min, then off again and belt stops squealing. also when this is happening my temp gauge is reading normal. when i dont have heat and its only blowing warm air the gauge is not reading right and the neddle stays at the bottom. im thinking i need a new belt? belt is slipping? water pump maybe? but im not having any problems with overheating the engine at all. its just my temp gauge only reads normal temps when it wants to and when its not reading right i dont have heat. when my temp gauge reads normal like it should,i have heat...... sry for the wall-o-text. just tryin to be clear. any thoughts or suggestions?

btw its an 01 with about 96k miles
Old 24 Dec 2009, 08:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Fritz - I think it's your thermostat. It isn't closing when it should. Then temp gauge is probably reading right - that's why no heat.

I had a car where thermostat went (closed). It was a Sunday back in days when things were closed Sundays, so I took the thermostat out. The car NEVER warmed up - and I drove 100 miles (and froze).

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 24 Dec 2009, 12:57 pm
Young Cruiser

thanks quick. i hope to change that out this xmas weekend. if not next weekend. and ill post results

btw i love this forum. im a big reader i just dont post much