Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'01 PT is over heating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Dec 2009, 07:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default '01 PT is over heating

Iím at my wits end. My poor 2001 PT is over heating. The fans working, it was replaces near end of the warranty.
I changed the thermostat and everything was good for a time ,then it over heated again. I flushed with a cleaner but found a crack in the plastic upper radiator tank. Replaced with a new radiator .
Still over heats running IN PARK . The only thing left is the pump. Itís been my experience a water pump usually leaks when itís going bad. Iím guessing itís not circulating and it over pressured the radiator causing it to rupture. One thing I did notice is the engine strained a bit once and the belt squeaked for a time. I need some ideas/input. Iím thinking replacing the water pump is to hard for a shade tree guy like me. Help!
Old 16 Dec 2009, 07:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: '01 PT is over heating

Ususal causes - thermostat, flush, fans - you've covered...
Are you losing coolant? Is oil and coolant clear (sign of head gasket is milkiness)
Another cause is radiator cap - suggest one from dealer as aftermarket is hit or miss.
The water pump is driven by timing belt. How many miles? The timing belt needs to be changed at 100,000 miles (many say sooner) - and it is always recommended to do water pump at same time - which means it does wear out.
Price for timing belt and water pump is around $750 - some have paid less,many have paid more - dealers are $1,000 or so.
Some have done it themselves, but it isn't easy.
There are write-ups, but it's tricky to get it aligned properly.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Last edited by quicksilverdon; 16 Dec 2009 at 09:16 pm.
Old 16 Dec 2009, 09:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

72,000 Miles had major tune up @ 60,000. No discoloration in fluids. I suspect radiator cap as well, I ran the engine with cap off at idle it started erupting as it heated up, donít know if thatís normal. Another thing is from cold to heat up with cap on, fluid shot out the reservoir
Old 16 Dec 2009, 09:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBREAUX View Post
Another thing is from cold to heat up with cap on, fluid shot out the reservoir
Not a good sign.
Did you bleed it to get air out?
heat - defrost problems
Sounds to me like either head gasket, clogged radiator, or pump...
Old 17 Dec 2009, 11:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

No. I just added coolant. How can you bleed the air? It's no my first radiator swap on a car, never had to bleed the air before. Iíll check today maybe itís settled out. If not Off to the shop it goes. I'm having PT withdrawals.
Thanks for the help.
Old 17 Dec 2009, 01:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

On the thermostat housing there is a bleed off valve, open it until fluid comes out. Close, start car, crack it open until fluid comes, you may have to do that a number of times. Good Luck, some where on this blog there is a picture provided by Crewzin that shows the valve. It was just on here within the last couple of days.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 17 Dec 2009, 01:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

On wife's pt when it was overheating I had pump (and belt) replaced and still overheated. my mechanic ask if losing fluid but the overflow tank stay at the mark. bad cap was the cause and then the petcock started to leak so those could be the culprit. also like quicksilverdon said these cars seem to be prone to air in system.
Old 17 Dec 2009, 02:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
some where on this blog there is a picture provided by Crewzin that shows the valve. It was just on here within the last couple of days.
It's in the linked thread that I posted above...
Old 17 Dec 2009, 02:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

You guys are a great help. I just came in from checking out the air thing. Soon as I started it up with cap off it gurgled up air. So I start stopped it a few times and did add more coolant. But the gauges went nuts.
??? And everything died. Wouldnít do anything Itís has new battery. Had to reset computer and started right up. I can hear gurgling from the system. Was able to drive round the block. Temp goes up than back down. Just maybe need to work air out. Getting new cap today. Donít know what the shut down was all about?