PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

How do I get to the starter? 2003 PT 2.4L

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Dec 2009, 01:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default How do I get to the starter? 2003 PT 2.4L

Hello all! I'm having problems with my 2003 PT. It's not starting up, just clicking once. I've read quite a bit about the possible causes and I am now ready to test a few of them. However, I have trouble locating the starter (I do know approximately where it is), and even after I do find it, I will need a way to get to it with the car still in once piece.

What I want to do is try to establish electrical connections straight from the battery to the starter, bypassing the car cables, to see if it's a wiring problem. So I've got some jumper cables and a masters degree in engineering, but how do I reach the starter terminals without taking the whole car apart?

Any help would be great!
Old 19 Dec 2009, 02:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: How do I get to the starter? 2003 PT 2.4L

Hooray! I found the starter (the descriptions were far too complicated), but there's still half of the car in the way, and the jumper cable clip does not fit through whatever gaps there are. Any ideas?
Old 19 Dec 2009, 05:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Just a click is nearly always a sign of weak battery or dead starter (starter solenoid).
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 20 Dec 2009, 08:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

I'd load test the battery first. It is easy to do at the auto parts store. Next easiest is to check both ends of the battery cables for corrosion. If you wiggle them you might get a start which would tell you the cable is probably bad.
Finally, would be the starter. Sometimes a rap to the starter body, on the metal part not too hard will move the contacts inside the starter to a 'good' spot. Not a fix but let's you know where the issue is.