PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Pis**ed Off Battery / Alternator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Dec 2009, 09:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Pis**ed Off Battery / Alternator

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Battery kept dying a couple of weeks ago, so replaced battery, still the same, went to Autozone they said bad alternator, spent 4 hours under the car yesterday replacing the alternator, and still the bloody same problem, battery dead after a 2 mile drive, re-checked the battery clamps and dropped a spanner into the front of the engine bay, hell of a job trying to get it, anyhow this is when I noticed the thick wire from the starter motor / solenoid was corroded and broken, repaired this wire and now everything runs great, so I had spent maybe 6 hours of my time, $260 on a new alternator and $70 on a battery that I most likely didn't need.

Thats an expensive and time consuming lesson learned for me
Old 20 Dec 2009, 12:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Pis**ed Off Battery / Alternator

Double arrgh and triple arrgh, for sure.

Next battery, may I suggest buying an AGM type They won't leak nor will they produce acid fumes that lead to the corrosion you found. The three best brands, in my opinion, are Odyssey, Dekka and Sears Diehard PLATINUM. (The other Diehards are not the AM type.) Optima used to be god, but in my opinion, quality suffered badly when they moved manufacturing offshore. You'll need to measure fit, since I don't think any of them tailor-build a PT battery.
Old 20 Dec 2009, 01:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You probably still needed the battery.
Be glad you found what was wrong.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 20 Dec 2009, 03:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yer, I probably did need the battery, and for sure I still think that it worked out cheaper than taking it to a shop to diagnose and repair.
Old 26 Aug 2010, 11:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

I recently noticed my power locks locking and unlocking by themselves (I suppose this had been happening for a while b/c I remeber loading my car and found it unlocked, when I opened the door the alarm sounded- i never keep the car unlocked) then I witnessed it, it stopped and I forgot about it, a week later my battery died. Replaced battery and not even two weeks later the new battery was dead, engine light on? I called a chrysler dealer who wanted $$$$ just to do the test, decided first to jump and take to AAP where I purchased the new battery to see if they could run any tests, no explanation why engine light is on. Tested the battery / and anything else they could under the hood. Test stated Battery needed to be replaced, but my alternator test had "ripples" surges - bad alternator? So after reading several of the forums If I understand correctly I need to fix the power lock mechanism or disable and manually lock and unlock, charge and test battert and replace under warranty if needed, and get a new alternator, sound right? How do I change alternator? Anyone else have all of this occur?
Old 26 Aug 2010, 03:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

From PT Do-It-Yourself.net:

The locking-unlocking description could be symptomatic of a failing Remote Keyless Entry (RKEM) module. A number of owners have reported issues with these.

Others from a search:

Power locks locking on their own!

door locks - Topix

Thread door locks locking/unlocking on their own! - PT Cruiser Forum | PT Cruiser Forum | BoardReader
Old 27 Aug 2010, 02:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

I would not be terribly surprised if the replacement battery is also bad. The defect rate on new batteries is appalling. Get it tested first. If the place you bought it from says it is OK, get a second opinion elsewhere.

This bad replacement battery scenario has happened to me more than once. I have come to distrust mass-market parts store tests of alternators and starters. Too many false "bad unit" results.

Having said that, I have to also agree that CREWZIN's theory is worth a look. I had this scenario also occur in a Saturn. It turned out that the lock cylinder in the driver door had worn and that the electric contacts would intermittently switch the locks on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off unless we took great pains to make sure that the cylinder was *exactly* vertical when we took the key out. Not the same thing, for sure, but it's amazing what an odd electrical gremlin will do.

Having said that, my first new car was a 1971 Gremlin, which had no gremlins at all!
Old 27 Aug 2010, 11:50 pm
Young Cruiser

simple test for an alternator is to start car and then disconect the neg cable if the car is still running the alternator is ok to keep up with the energy draw.Dont stand in front of car running if it stalls out it may jump forward a bit
Old 28 Aug 2010, 01:20 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleDad View Post
simple test for an alternator is to start car and then disconect the neg cable if the car is still running the alternator is ok to keep up with the energy draw.Dont stand in front of car running if it stalls out it may jump forward a bit
Bad idea...it might have been acceptable when cars did not have as many electronics as they do today...but almost all the sources said it was not a good way to test an alternator as the battery serves as a surge suppressor for the alternator and removing it from the circuit could incuce a spike and fry the alternator and possibly the computer(s).
Old 28 Aug 2010, 11:03 am
Young Cruiser

thanks for the update glad to know great looking out