Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine Lacks Power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Dec 2009, 12:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Engine Lacks Power

MY wife's car is a 2001 2.4 non-turbo and it lacks power while driving.
The other day my wife was putting antifreeze in the reservoir and she spilled some on the back of the engine and it started to miss! She decided to drive it figuring it would clear up, well it has not cleared up. It idles smooth but when you drive it has no power and you can't get past 20 mph. I changed the plugs, the coil and I noticed that the EGR solenoid valve located behind the throttle body had the hose connection coming from the base of the EGR valve melted off. I replaced the EGR valve which comes with the solenoid valve and agian the hose connection melted and it still has no power. The strange thing is that the check engine light never came on and there are no stored trouble codes. This one is a real mystery for me!!
Old 20 Dec 2009, 01:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine Lacks Power

I replied to your other post about the hose melting.
You didn't mention the missing in that one - did you replace wires when you did plugs? Don't buy the stock wires, nearly any other brand is better.
If you did replace wires, it's possible you have a clogged injector. Throw some Lucas injection cleaner in gas - can't hurt, and may cure it.
That it idles well would pretty well rule out intake gasket - a bad intake gasket usually gives a lousy idle.
If you didn't do wires do them first.
For some reason, the Engine light is more sensitive to missing at idle, may/may not come on at higher revs.
On both my PTs I had missing/skipping starting at about 20,000 miles - only when accelerating - no light, idle okay - replaced plugs and wires and was fine thereafter.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 20 Dec 2009, 02:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It has new 8mm MSD wires that I put on it this summer when I installed the MSD coil. I may have to go back and check the gap, I gapped the new ones to .50 and I remember a TSB that said to set non turbo 2.4 plugs to .40.

This one has really stumped me!!
Old 20 Dec 2009, 02:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hate to tell you, but you may also want to put stock coil back - there have been numerous reports of aftermarket coils failing and very few of stock coils failing....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 20 Dec 2009, 03:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I put the stock coil back on when I changed plugs, I thought maybe the coil was bad!!