Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Voltage Regulator/Battery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Dec 2009, 05:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Voltage Regulator/Battery

So, I know some of us are running high output alternators, and with me finding that I'm having an issue with mine, I'm planning to upgrade my OEM alternator to one of these. My question is: I've read on a few different sites that when voltage regulators are used in the PCM (pretty sure that includes us), it adjusts the output of the alternator to only what the car needs-- is this true? And if so, is it really beneficial to upgrade the alternator? Also, can the voltage regulator be damaged by increasing the amperage of the charging system? (I'm also planning on doing the 'big 3' with at LEAST 4 gauge wire.)

I read some BS post about someone having an issue with a PT and said that they had an issue when a certain retailer sold them a battery that wasn't 'designed' for the PT and caused '$900 worth of damage to the electrical system'. Is that possible as well? I'm planning to upgrade my Duralast OEM replacement battery with a deep cycle. I know people have been using the Optima Redtops, but I'm more interested in going with the Yellowtop or another type of battery. Any info/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Old 20 Dec 2009, 05:10 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Voltage Regulator/Battery

I don't have an answer for you, but while I was reading I had a thought...

I assume you're planning to install some sort of heavy-duty stereo/video type setup, so, is it possible to put in a different voltage regulator designed for the heavier load?
Old 20 Dec 2009, 05:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

I already do have a rather large system..

The sub amp is running at ~550wRMS at 2ohms. It's rated at 850wRMS at 2ohms, and 1700w max. It has two 30amp fuses, so I'm assuming at its peak draw, it's probably pulling about 45amps.

The speaker amp is running at ~250wRMS at 4ohms. Not sure what the amp draw is on this one.

I do plan on adding another 12" Type-R, and also another set of component speakers up front, so I'll need to upgrade my speaker amp to a rather large 4-channel amp.. so I need the extra power.

About the VR. I think it's internal to the PCM, so I don't think it's a physical PART that could be swapped, you know? If it could be, that'd be easy.. but Chrysler enjoys breaking my balls..

Old 21 Dec 2009, 04:44 am
Young Cruiser

Sometimes, analog was so much easier than digital! A simple rheostat off the alternator and that was that! not anymore, I guess.
Old 21 Dec 2009, 05:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeter View Post
Sometimes, analog was so much easier than digital! A simple rheostat off the alternator and that was that! not anymore, I guess.
Yes! Analog is better in many applications. But the 0/1 heads have taken over just about everything.

2010 Classic in Deepwater Blue w/Grey Interior
2008 Bullitt Mustang #901
Old 25 Nov 2011, 03:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to insanepagen

I found this: Chrysler Dodge Jeep Alternator External Voltage Regulator Conversion Kit

I was wondering if I should install this along with a h/o alternator. Or will the internal regulator handle everything. BTW...what is the amps on a pt cruiser turbo?