Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
In dire need of help: It won't start!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Dec 2009, 03:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry In dire need of help: It won't start!!!

Hi All,

This is my first post. I have a 2001 2litre Cruiser. The problem I have is that the key won't turn in the ignition. Now admittedly I noticed that this happned from time to time in the past but as it always started again I never worried about it.

The other night I got stranded as the key just would not turn. Luckily a breakdown mechanic was able to put oil in the ignition and low and behold it started. So I drove it home. However, home is where is has been for the last three days as the key won't turn again.

Have any of you had this problem? Do you think it'll be pricey to fix (it's Christmas spare cash is not flowing!)
Old 21 Dec 2009, 07:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: In dire need of help: It won't start!!!

Welcome.
Yes, several folks have had their ignition switch die.
Do you have lots of extra stuff on your keychain? The extra weight hastens the death of the ignition switch.
Try pushing in on the key as you turn it.
The ignition cylinder is easy to replace and should not be too expensive.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Dec 2009, 08:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for your response. No, I don't have anything on my keychain. I called the Chrysler Dealers (as it seemed no one else could help me - after making hundreds of calls to Locksmiths) and the guy suggested using a hammer to tap my key as I turned it. That didn't work.

To be honest I've had enough of it and I'm going to sell it in it's current condition. I need a working car that's not going to cost the earth to fix.
Old 23 Dec 2009, 12:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

If this is either a worn key or a poorly recut replacement key that may be your problem. If you can get it to work by trying to slightly push in, pull out or jiggle the key up and down you may need just a lock cylinder for the ignition. The key here (pardon the pun) is to wiggle the key in,out, and around as you try to turn it. If that works I'd suspect the lock cylinder.
It is removed by turning the key to the on position and pressing on a retaining tab on the column housing. You have to remove the plastic cover to get to it.

They are not too expensive and possibly a locksmith may explain how to change it.
Good luck and let us know.
Old 23 Dec 2009, 01:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Thank you for your response. No, I don't have anything on my keychain. I called the Chrysler Dealers (as it seemed no one else could help me - after making hundreds of calls to Locksmiths) and the guy suggested using a hammer to tap my key as I turned it. That didn't work.

To be honest I've had enough of it and I'm going to sell it in it's current condition. I need a working car that's not going to cost the earth to fix.
Because you have a 2 litre car, I assume that you are outside the USA. In the USA, a new ignition lock cylinder costs about US$135 at the dealer, keyed to fit the keys you already have. It is literally a ten minute job to replace the cylinder, once you disconnect the battery negative cable. You will need to oil the key cylinder and manipulate the key into the "run" position. Under the steering column, there is a hole that you can poke a rod up, about 1/8 inch or 3mm diameter up. An old coat hanger works. That will release a lock tab, and then you pull out the old cylinder, and remove the rod. Pull out the key, and insert it into the new cylinder. Set the new cylinder to "run" and insert it until you hear a click. You are done.

This is (unfortunately) a common feature but easy for a DIY owner to fix.