Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Dec 2009, 04:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overheats while driving, cools at idle

My 2004 PT overheats when I drive but cools down when I idle. I have replaced the thermostat about 7 months ago. What would cause this? The fan seems to be working ok -- not sure how to test the fan though. Any experiences with this issue?

Jk

Last edited by jkdrummer; 21 Dec 2009 at 04:38 pm.
Old 21 Dec 2009, 04:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating issues

Check thru the "sticky's" in the front page, one of them pertains to the cooling fan.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 21 Dec 2009, 06:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Your overheating problem is opposite than most overheating problems because it gets hot when your driving. The fan turns off over 35mph as the air into the radiator is enough to keep it cool unless it's an internal problem. Look for signs of head gasket failure. Loss of fluid, milky fluid in the oil. Or, possibly a clogged radiator where at idle and slow speed, the small amount of water flowing is enough to keep it cool but at higher speeds the blockage might not be letting enough water to circulate and it overheats.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 21 Dec 2009 at 06:40 pm.
Old 25 Jun 2012, 09:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My 03 had the same issue, shop went as far as telling me it was a head gasket. Because of the info provided on this forum, I got second opinion and found out it was a clogged radiator.

Long story short, check everything and anything