Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2003 PT Died on the road....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Dec 2009, 08:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2003 PT Died on the road....

Had to borrow a flatbed the other day and go get my daughter in the PT about 150 miles away. She was driving along and the engine lost power and stopped. As the oil light came on when it stalled, she checked it (plenty), and then tried to restart. The engine made a clattering noise, but she was able to get it off the road into a driveway. When I went to pick it up, I attempted to start it, and it fired weakly with that clattering noise and then stopped running. Got it home, and have attempted to start it with no success. Turns over fine. The car has 129K on it, and I replaced the timing belt and water pump at 114K. I did not however, replace the tensioner as it felt fine, no slop or noise. The computer did throw a P0344, and I replaced the camshaft sensor but no luck. Looked for chafed or broken wires-none. Checked the coil pack, proper resistance on both primary and secondary side. Took a plug out to check for spark, turned engine over and got spark on the plug. Could the timing belt have jumped some teeth because the tensioner was old? Do these have a life expectancy? Any thoughts greatly appreciated!
Old 28 Dec 2009, 08:21 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 PT Died on the road....

It's possible. I would take #1piston to tdc (power stroke) and remove the upper timing cover and see if the marks line up.
Old 29 Dec 2009, 06:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 PT Died on the road....

Based on symptoms, belt jumping a tooth or two sounds right.
Cam sensor may be okay, error code is a symptom of timing belt issues.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles