Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
06 PT Shudders under accelleration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Dec 2009, 02:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 06 PT Shudders under accelleration

Hi all. I have a 2006 PT with 115,000. In April the timing belt was replaced and last November ('08) transmission replaced. When I accellerate, the car shudders. Feels like something in the front end. This is the first front wheel drive car I've ever owned and I am wondering if this could be a CV joint issue. Sound familiar to anyone?? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.
Old 30 Dec 2009, 04:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 06 PT Shudders under accelleration

Plugs and wires recent? Mine started to go on both my PTs at around 20,000 miles - I felt a "missing" or "skipping" when accelerating.

CV joints usually make noise when turning when they start to go, and I think you'd feel them even when coasting.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Dec 2009, 04:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply. I am going to try plugs and wires tonight and see the effect. Its time to do it anyway, so not a waste of time or effort.
Old 30 Dec 2009, 05:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yup. Non-destructive & like chicken soup - can't hurt...
Don't buy stock wires - they are crap - nearly any good brand of aftermarket wires are better - the Champion plugs aren't bad, gap at 0.040.
Hope that does it...
Old 30 Dec 2009, 08:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 06 PT Shudders under accelleration - SOLVED

Well the new plugs and wires did the trick. The shudder was so bad I was convinced it was something loose in the front end or transmission. Anyone out there with a used pt or one with over 20,000 just invest a little bit and upgrade. You will kick yourself for not doing it earlier!
Old 30 Dec 2009, 09:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That's GREAT!
Of course, I'll have to get a bigger hat size now....

Happy New Year !
Old 30 Dec 2009, 10:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I read three dozen threads on here too - every one advising new wires and plugs too! This was just so severe and sudden I never thought that would be the cause. Teach me to overthink things - lol. Thanks again. The bigger hat size well deserved.
Old 30 Dec 2009, 10:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Congrats to the both of you!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 31 Dec 2009, 12:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by enikolich View Post
I read three dozen threads on here too - every one advising new wires and plugs too! This was just so severe and sudden I never thought that would be the cause. Teach me to overthink things - lol. Thanks again. The bigger hat size well deserved.
It's true. On my 01, one of the coil towers had turned green! It's a tribute to NAPA wires, I s'pose, that it ran at all. I replaced them with MSD wires and Autoilite iridium plugs. Wowzers, what a difference!

Based on that experience, I changed out the wires and plugs on my wife's Town & Country (at 20K miles) to a different brand stainless steel conductor wires that I can't recall the name of (no MSD wires for the 3.8 V6) and Autolite Iridium plugs. I didn't tell her. She returned from errands wide-eyed asking me what I had done to the car. It wanted far less "gas pedal" to get into traffic.

So, yes, I would say that good wires and plugs on a PT would be a good upgrade at any time.
Old 31 Dec 2009, 04:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt42 View Post

Based on that experience, I changed out the wires and plugs on my wife's Town & Country (at 20K miles) to a different brand stainless steel conductor wires that I can't recall the name of (no MSD wires for the 3.8 V6) and Autolite Iridium plugs. I didn't tell her. She returned from errands wide-eyed asking me what I had done to the car. It wanted far less "gas pedal" to get into traffic.
How hard was that to do? My wife also has a T&C w/3.8, and I don't think I can even see the "back 3" - how did you get to them?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles