PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
01 leaking from Thermostat housing, Please help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Dec 2009, 06:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 01 leaking from Thermostat housing, Please help

Hello
I have a 2001 Pt Crusier with the 2.4l non-turbo engine. I have been noticing coolant leaking from the seal where the thermostat plastic housing sits on the metal water outlet that hold the thermostat. I took it apart and replaced the thermostat and rubber seal. Put everything back together and still leaks at this location. Could the plastic or metal be warped? I will replace both parts if needed but cannot fined part numbers or a online company to buy from. The part numbers I have are 05278203AA and 04884004AA, but again I cannot find these parts online. Please help. Do I need to replace and if so where to find?

Thank you
Gary
Old 01 Jan 2010, 03:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 01 leaking from Thermostat housing, Please help

Welcome.
If it were me, I'd take it off again, look for cracks, if no cracks, put a bead of form-a-gasket on the rubber seal and re-assemble.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 01 Jan 2010, 11:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for the suggestion. I took off the metal and plastic housing and put them together out of the engine to see if I could see anything. When the two parts are together there is a small gap I could shine a light through. So it appears it doesnt seat all the way flat. Is that the way its built? The rubber gasket is being smashed but it doesnt seal flat. Is this the way its designed? The only gasket is a rubber one that fits around the thermostat. Is this all that should be there?

Thank you
Gary
Old 01 Jan 2010, 11:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes there will be a small gap when tightened all the way down tight. Make sure the little air bleeder screw which is located in that area is tight (snug) and not leaking.
Old 02 Jan 2010, 12:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

When it was together it would spray coolant out of the area between the two parts as the rpms went up. I am including pics of the part before and after the bolts are tightened.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aa.jpg (89.1 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg bb.jpg (73.7 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg cc.jpg (53.0 KB, 102 views)
Old 02 Jan 2010, 06:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I believe the rubber is a "O" ring that should seal. It looks like your last picture is sealing correctly.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 02 Jan 2010, 10:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

The gap is Ok on the outer edges, but it looks higher in one photo then it does in another. I would just replace the thermostat altogether with a new one..It will come with a new seal. When you install it, there is a little groove or notch that has to be lined up with the thermostat and the housing that it fits into..look for this, you will see it...I just installed a new thermostat in my 2001 2 days ago when I did a turbo manifold swap to my N/A engine..the part number you need at the dealer for the thermostat/seal is #5278144AA..hope this works for you!!....Kip
Old 02 Jan 2010, 01:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

Disclaimer: I have never done this on a PT Cruiser before. I have done this on several cars where the t-stat seals with an o-ring.

Observation: That connection looks very odd. All the other t-stat to head/block/unit or whatever connections end up flat, where the thermostat housing, be it plastic or metal, ends up flush to the base it sits on. It does so by squishing a correctly-sized o-ring just to thickness. If it is not flush, it will bow and coolant will spray out in the upper bowed section. A plastic housing that deforms will eventually crack or break. The O-ring looks too thick. It may also be the wrong diameter. If it is too big around, it may not fit correctly into a machined spot in the housing.

My un-edjumacated take on this is that the O-ring you got is the wrong one. If the o-ring came in a box with the thermostat, I bet it got looked at and reboxed wrong somewhere. If the o-ring was a separate item, it was just plain wrong.

Final observation: While in college, I worked at an independent Goodyear store that also did light to major repairs. I learned that senior parts counter men are never, ever wrong. While they may on rare occasion admit to being in error, senior parts counter men are never, ever wrong. That is when I learned to go, by preference, to parts counter women, who will as a rule take the extra effort to double check parts listings and compare the sample part you bring in against the part in the box.

Last edited by Matt42; 02 Jan 2010 at 01:29 pm.
Old 02 Jan 2010, 10:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Trust me on this one....there is NO "O ring"....the thermostat will come with a seal that is already installed on it. All you have to do is like I said before, just line up the tab on the thermostat with the groove in the thermostat housing...tighten down evenly until snug, don't break off the bolts!!!...Good luck..Kip
Old 03 Jan 2010, 12:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6banger View Post
Trust me on this one....there is NO "O ring"....the thermostat will come with a seal that is already installed on it. All you have to do is like I said before, just line up the tab on the thermostat with the groove in the thermostat housing...tighten down evenly until snug, don't break off the bolts!!!...Good luck..Kip
OK. Disregard everything I said after the "Disclaimer" sentence.