PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

2002 PT Cruiser Clock Spring Re-setting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jan 2010, 05:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default 2002 PT Cruiser Clock Spring Re-setting?

Does anyone know how to re-set the clock spring on a 2002 PT Cruiser? I purchased a used one from the junk yard and now I need instructions on how to set this replacement. The center light blue portion rotates inside the outer black portion. My question is how do I know that the center light blue portion is centered equally from left to right? Thank you for your support.
Old 03 Jan 2010, 12:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 PT Cruiser Clock Spring Re-setting?

Dunno.
I would think a manual like Haynes or Chiltons would show how.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Jan 2010, 04:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 PT Cruiser Clock Spring Re-setting?

quicksilverdon, you are right! I found this info in my AllData Subscription. For those who are interested in knowing how to re-set your airbag clock spring, here is that info:

STANDARD PROCEDURE - CLOCK SPRING CENTERING

If the rotating tape within the clock spring is not positioned properly with the steering wheel and the front wheels, the clock spring may fail during use. The following procedure MUST BE USED to center the clock spring if:

•The clock spring is not known to be properly positioned.
•The front wheels were moved.
•The steering wheel was moved from the half turn (180 degrees ) to the right (clockwise) position.
1.Open hood.
2.Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Allow system capacitor to discharge for two minutes before beginning.
3.Remove clock spring (Refer to ELECTRICAL/RESTRAINTS/CLOCK SPRING - REMOVAL).
4.Rotate the clock spring rotor in the CLOCKWISE DIRECTION to the end of travel. Do not apply excessive torque.
5.From the end of travel, rotate the rotor three full turns in the counterclockwise direction. The horn wire and the squib wire should end up at the bottom. If not, rotate the rotor counter clockwise until the wires are properly oriented, but not more than half turn (180 degrees ). Engage clock spring locking mechanism.
6.Install the clock spring(Refer to ELECTRICAL/RESTRAINTS/CLOCK SPRING - INSTALLATION). WARNING: DO NOT CONNECT BATTERY NEGATIVE CABLE YET (Refer to ELECTRICAL/RESTRAINTS - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - AIRBAG SYSTEM).
7.Close hood.
8.Verify vehicle and system operation.