Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Power Steering problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jan 2010, 03:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Power Steering problems

Everytime something happens on this car, is an issue Ive never come across, and its always new and hard to figure out.

Im getting air into the power steering system. I know there is the one large hose that runs from the front of the reservoir, down to the pump. and the smaller one in the back runs down to the rack and pinion. Would those be the leakers?

I dont know why, but the big hose is always moist, like its porous, and the fluid is leaking out of the hose itself.

Also, is there a way to drain the entire system? and just start fresh with new fluid. I want to put good power steering fluid in it, cause it looks like this stuff gets really jelly in the cold.
Old 03 Jan 2010, 06:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Power Steering problems

If you are getting air into the system, it is probably coming from an air leak on the reservior or the hose to the pump.
From the pump to the gear there is a pressure line that if it was leaking would not allow air in unless you let the fluid get really low.
There is a return line that brings fluid back to the pump that would be the second place to look.
I asssume you have bled the air out by lifting the front wheels off the ground and rotating the wheel all the way left and right three times.
If you are not losing fluid (the leak is what would fix your problem), just continually getting air back in, I'd check the reservior and it's hose first.
Old 03 Jan 2010, 10:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I dont think I am losing fluid, and I will have to check, but I think, and I cant imagine why, but she said the dealer replaced some power steering lines before she bought the car, and If I remember correctly, the feed line down to the rack and pinion IS OFF THE SHELF BULK HOSE!

Ive bled the system before, but it didnt stop the problem at all.
Old 03 Jan 2010, 11:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Taggert_LOA

if your pt is a turbo i have both pressure and return hoses NIB for sale. 140.00 shipped for both. i bought them when i lost my power steering. turns out all i did was blow the line off the cooler.