Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
transmission fluid leak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jan 2010, 01:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default transmission fluid leak

Hi, there. My wife's 04 PT Cruiser has a problem of transmission fluid leak. I went to a local dealer twice to fix the problem. First they changed a gasket and charged me a $100 for co-pay (the transmission is under warranty). But a month later I found it was still leaking. So I went there for the second time. They replaced the pan and asked for another $100 and then reduced to $50 co-pay. I refused to pay since they haven't solved the problem in the first place. During the second visit, they diagnosed that the car needs to replace spark plugs and the wire set. They offered a quote of $270 to replace them. I think that too much so I replaced them by myself thanks to the instruction on this forum. Unfortunately, we found transmission leaking again this morning. I am wondering if the new leakage is caused by any mistake during spark plug changing. It is big headache to deal with the dealer. Any idea and suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04 Jan 2010, 03:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: transmission fluid leak

joeus, Welcome to the Forum.

No, changing plugs & wires do not have anything to do with the transmission. Who ever told you that, must be smoking something. You had/have a tranny problem and don't take no for an answer. It is covered under warranty and if all else fails, demand a new/rebuilt one.

As to talk (nicely) to the owner and if that fails, request a visit with the Chrysler representative.

BTW: where are you located? I tried to find out, but see that you didn't fill out your profile.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 04 Jan 2010, 04:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the quick reply. I have made an appointment by tomorrow to check it again. Will do as you suggested. I live in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Old 04 Jan 2010, 05:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You might ask others who live in your area if they could suggest another dealer if you have a choice.

Its always best to fill out your profile so others can see where you are, so someone could head you in another direction for a more competent service staff.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 04 Jan 2010, 08:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeus View Post
Hi, there. My wife's 04 PT Cruiser has a problem of transmission fluid leak. I went to a local dealer twice to fix the problem. First they changed a gasket and charged me a $100 for co-pay (the transmission is under warranty). But a month later I found it was still leaking. So I went there for the second time. They replaced the pan and asked for another $100 and then reduced to $50 co-pay. I refused to pay since they haven't solved the problem in the first place. During the second visit, they diagnosed that the car needs to replace spark plugs and the wire set. They offered a quote of $270 to replace them. I think that too much so I replaced them by myself thanks to the instruction on this forum. Unfortunately, we found transmission leaking again this morning. I am wondering if the new leakage is caused by any mistake during spark plug changing. It is big headache to deal with the dealer. Any idea and suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Have you been able to crawl under the car to see where the leak is coming from? There is a quirk on PT Cruiser automatic transmissions (at least on mine)that makes leaks likely at the rear portion of the pan, meaning the part closest to the back of the car.

When the drain pan is removed, about four quarts of fluid drains out very quickly. A small dribble of fluid continues to dribble-dribble-dribble out of the upper reaches of the transmission, and this is just enough to place a film of fluid on the mating surface of the transmission where the pan gasket material fastens to the transmission. (The pan gasket is really a bead of RTV silicone squeezed out of a tube into place.)

Even a lazy technician will wipe the transmission pan and transmission mating surfaces with lacquer thinner. Alcohol or brake cleaner work better, but lacquer thinner is almost OK. But if the dribble-dribble-dribble from inside the transmission isn't stopped, there will be a leak sooner or later where it dribbles onto the transmission mating surface, because RTV will not stick well to oil. It may take a few days, a few months, or even a few years for the leak to develop, but develop it will!

The way to prevent that is to wrap a rag around a screwdriver and hold it up in the passage where the dribble comes from for a few minutes. Then quickly do the final cleaning, and then slap the pan with RTV bead into place.

At least that is my limited experience. Others with different views should comment here. And that assumes the problem is the transmission pan gasket. It could also be the dipstick O-ring, but $100 for that is just plain stealing.
Old 09 Jan 2010, 06:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Discovered that mine is leaking too. I took to an oil change place and asked them to find the leak. They said it was a seal between the engine and transaxle. No wonder it took awhile to leave the driveway this morning! Low fluid = more time to build up pressure. It was down two litres.
Old 10 Jul 2013, 12:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyNiagara View Post
Discovered that mine is leaking too. I took to an oil change place and asked them to find the leak. They said it was a seal between the engine and transaxle. No wonder it took awhile to leave the driveway this morning! Low fluid = more time to build up pressure. It was down two litres.
Hey i think i have the same leak in my wife 2008. Any one know the fix.
Old 10 Jul 2013, 03:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If it's between the block and trans. Only way is to pull the trans. Many more likely places it could be leaking. That don't require the trans to fix.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 Jul 2013, 03:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

on my 06 i do have a actuall gasket and it is thick it is metal and runner i still use some RTV to hold it in place I put mine on my rack and left the tranny open for 4 days or so and by that time it was pretty empty but not everyone has 4 days
but its true CLEAN is your friend
Old 10 Jul 2013, 11:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
on my 06 i do have a actuall gasket and it is thick it is metal and runner i still use some RTV to hold it in place I put mine on my rack and left the tranny open for 4 days or so and by that time it was pretty empty but not everyone has 4 days
but its true CLEAN is your friend
did you have any issues with the tranny needing to relearn itself or anything like that? I thought I read that if you drain enough of the fluid the tranny has to be reprogrammed or something of the sort.