PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
transmission fluid leak

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2010, 01:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 5
Default transmission fluid leak

Hi, there. My wife's 04 PT Cruiser has a problem of transmission fluid leak. I went to a local dealer twice to fix the problem. First they changed a gasket and charged me a $100 for co-pay (the transmission is under warranty). But a month later I found it was still leaking. So I went there for the second time. They replaced the pan and asked for another $100 and then reduced to $50 co-pay. I refused to pay since they haven't solved the problem in the first place. During the second visit, they diagnosed that the car needs to replace spark plugs and the wire set. They offered a quote of $270 to replace them. I think that too much so I replaced them by myself thanks to the instruction on this forum. Unfortunately, we found transmission leaking again this morning. I am wondering if the new leakage is caused by any mistake during spark plug changing. It is big headache to deal with the dealer. Any idea and suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2010, 03:38 pm
Hooligan's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,023
Default Re: transmission fluid leak

joeus, Welcome to the Forum.

No, changing plugs & wires do not have anything to do with the transmission. Who ever told you that, must be smoking something. You had/have a tranny problem and don't take no for an answer. It is covered under warranty and if all else fails, demand a new/rebuilt one.

As to talk (nicely) to the owner and if that fails, request a visit with the Chrysler representative.

BTW: where are you located? I tried to find out, but see that you didn't fill out your profile.
__________________

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2010, 04:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 5
Default Re: transmission fluid leak

Thanks for the quick reply. I have made an appointment by tomorrow to check it again. Will do as you suggested. I live in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2010, 05:06 pm
Hooligan's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,023
Default Re: transmission fluid leak

You might ask others who live in your area if they could suggest another dealer if you have a choice.

Its always best to fill out your profile so others can see where you are, so someone could head you in another direction for a more competent service staff.
__________________

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2010, 08:11 pm
Matt42's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 496
Default Re: transmission fluid leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeus View Post
Hi, there. My wife's 04 PT Cruiser has a problem of transmission fluid leak. I went to a local dealer twice to fix the problem. First they changed a gasket and charged me a $100 for co-pay (the transmission is under warranty). But a month later I found it was still leaking. So I went there for the second time. They replaced the pan and asked for another $100 and then reduced to $50 co-pay. I refused to pay since they haven't solved the problem in the first place. During the second visit, they diagnosed that the car needs to replace spark plugs and the wire set. They offered a quote of $270 to replace them. I think that too much so I replaced them by myself thanks to the instruction on this forum. Unfortunately, we found transmission leaking again this morning. I am wondering if the new leakage is caused by any mistake during spark plug changing. It is big headache to deal with the dealer. Any idea and suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Have you been able to crawl under the car to see where the leak is coming from? There is a quirk on PT Cruiser automatic transmissions (at least on mine)that makes leaks likely at the rear portion of the pan, meaning the part closest to the back of the car.

When the drain pan is removed, about four quarts of fluid drains out very quickly. A small dribble of fluid continues to dribble-dribble-dribble out of the upper reaches of the transmission, and this is just enough to place a film of fluid on the mating surface of the transmission where the pan gasket material fastens to the transmission. (The pan gasket is really a bead of RTV silicone squeezed out of a tube into place.)

Even a lazy technician will wipe the transmission pan and transmission mating surfaces with lacquer thinner. Alcohol or brake cleaner work better, but lacquer thinner is almost OK. But if the dribble-dribble-dribble from inside the transmission isn't stopped, there will be a leak sooner or later where it dribbles onto the transmission mating surface, because RTV will not stick well to oil. It may take a few days, a few months, or even a few years for the leak to develop, but develop it will!

The way to prevent that is to wrap a rag around a screwdriver and hold it up in the passage where the dribble comes from for a few minutes. Then quickly do the final cleaning, and then slap the pan with RTV bead into place.

At least that is my limited experience. Others with different views should comment here. And that assumes the problem is the transmission pan gasket. It could also be the dipstick O-ring, but $100 for that is just plain stealing.
__________________
1996 Dodge diesel 4X4, 2001 PT Cruiser Touring with rear disc brakes, [Now gone 2004 PT Cruiser Base 5 speed], 2007 Chrysler T&C Touring
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09 Jan 2010, 06:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 24
Default Re: transmission fluid leak

Discovered that mine is leaking too. I took to an oil change place and asked them to find the leak. They said it was a seal between the engine and transaxle. No wonder it took awhile to leave the driveway this morning! Low fluid = more time to build up pressure. It was down two litres.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jul 2013, 12:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 17
Default Re: transmission fluid leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyNiagara View Post
Discovered that mine is leaking too. I took to an oil change place and asked them to find the leak. They said it was a seal between the engine and transaxle. No wonder it took awhile to leave the driveway this morning! Low fluid = more time to build up pressure. It was down two litres.
Hey i think i have the same leak in my wife 2008. Any one know the fix.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jul 2013, 03:46 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,880
Default Re: transmission fluid leak

If it's between the block and trans. Only way is to pull the trans. Many more likely places it could be leaking. That don't require the trans to fix.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jul 2013, 03:59 pm
cruserdad1976's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: st james mo
Posts: 8,217
Default Re: transmission fluid leak

on my 06 i do have a actuall gasket and it is thick it is metal and runner i still use some RTV to hold it in place I put mine on my rack and left the tranny open for 4 days or so and by that time it was pretty empty but not everyone has 4 days
but its true CLEAN is your friend
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jul 2013, 11:24 pm
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 132
Default Re: transmission fluid leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
on my 06 i do have a actuall gasket and it is thick it is metal and runner i still use some RTV to hold it in place I put mine on my rack and left the tranny open for 4 days or so and by that time it was pretty empty but not everyone has 4 days
but its true CLEAN is your friend
did you have any issues with the tranny needing to relearn itself or anything like that? I thought I read that if you drain enough of the fluid the tranny has to be reprogrammed or something of the sort.
__________________
2001 pt cruiser limited
2000 audi s4 built 2.8l twin tial 770r
2002 audi tt 225 quattro 35r


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing Transmission Fluid garyerrol Tech & Performance Forum 13 27 Jun 2016 05:02 pm
Transmission fluid leak tryanmax Tech & Performance Forum 19 22 Jul 2012 02:16 pm
Manual Transmission Fluid Change matt87951 Tech & Performance Forum 22 11 Apr 2011 03:42 pm
Transmission Fluid scatgo Tech & Performance Forum 4 31 May 2009 09:04 pm
Transmission Fluid DaShado Tech & Performance Forum 1 02 Jul 2007 06:18 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors