PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Very unique overheating issue (I searched threads, no luck)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jan 2010, 01:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Very unique overheating issue (I searched threads, no luck)

Guys,

My wife's PT (2002) is overheating while idle and sometimes while going up or down hills. While it's overheating, the heater air blows cold. Now this is nothing new to you seasoned guys, but here's the kicker. The first time, I replaced the thermostat and flushed and burped the coolant. It worked for about a month, then it did it again. So at my wife's insistance, I took it to the mechanic... They ran test and etc and couldn't find any problems. So they just ended up doing the same thing I did the first time (replace thermostat and flush etc...). Lo an behold it worked, but a month later it is overheating again. Arg! Any clues? BTW, I also had the waterpump replaced a couple of months ago when the timing belt went. I didn't replace the coolant with the orange stuff, but I'm not sure it is the correct coolant either (it's green stuff from schucks)... could this be the problem?

(i think i'll try to find a new mechanic also. Anyone recommend someone in the South Seattle area?)
Old 06 Jan 2010, 06:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Very unique overheating issue (I searched threads, no luck)

Sounds like a couple possibilities....
Does engine fan come on? Open hood, start car, turn on A/c - the engine fan should be on. If not, that's causing overheating at idle.
Any signs of head gasket failure? Oil clear, not milky? Coolant clear?
Try bleeding system again - cold air from heater while you're overheating is air in the system....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Jan 2010, 05:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Oil and Coolant is good. No bubbles in the coolant either (at least not that i remember). I checked these (and the fan) the first time, but maybe something changed the last time it overheated. However, I would like to think any mechanic worth anything would have also checked these things. I ask them to pressure test and specifically check for head issues. I think i'll have to find another mechanic. I'll try bleeding the system again to see if that fixes it... if so where do I go from there? How to find the leak or find out if it's the head gasket.
Old 11 Jan 2010, 04:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Okay, here is what I found out.... Looks like the shop didn't use the pail yellow stuff for coolant. Not sure what they used (green), but I've replaced with Zerex G-05. I am in the process of bleeding now.

The fan is indeed NOT working now... low nor high speed fan. I ran the electrical test CREWZIN suggests here. With hot lead and ground, I got one speed working, not sure which one (yellow wire I think), the other fan didn't come on. I checked/swapped relays and fuses. But it still does not even come on in low speed.

Let's say the shop was completely incompetent, is there something I should be looking for as far as disconnections? They replaced the timing belt/water pump and I had to take it back because they screwed up the A/C. I'm wondering if they haven't done the same with the fan/cooling system.

I'm not very good with electronics, any clue on where to test next?
Old 13 Mar 2010, 04:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Sounds like a couple possibilities....
Does engine fan come on? Open hood, start car, turn on A/c - the engine fan should be on. If not, that's causing overheating at idle.
Try bleeding system again - cold air from heater while you're overheating is air in the system....
cold air from heater, no fluid leaks , just boiling like a coffee pot after maybe 10-15 minutes from cold. changed thermostat, flushed system,
Old 13 Mar 2010, 04:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

help mine is doing same thing spent 600.oo in 2 days just bought with 45,000 actual miles!
Old 13 Mar 2010, 08:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Munkeyboy,

If yours is overheating after a month of being fixed (twice), the normal things like thermostat, clogged radiator or fan motor shouldn't apply because it would overheat right away. It sounds like you have a small leak and it takes a month for enough water to disappear to cause air to get trapped in the system.

How To Find & Fix Coolant Leaks

Amatha021,

The same question that QSD asked before go to you. Does engine fan come on? Open hood, start car, turn on A/C - the engine fan should be on. If not, that's causing overheating at idle.

The coolant system is a pressurized system. With the right amount of anti-freeze and no air trapped in the system the boiling point is around 250 degrees. Your car should steam and probably throw the coolant out the overflow before it got anywhere near that. If you can hear boiling, you have air trapped in the system.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Mar 2010, 12:27 pm
Young Cruiser

I had a problem with my 2001 yesterday morning. Started with car starter went out windows not clearing. Car blowing cold air all the way to work. I heard the fan kicking on. Had a radiator and water pump AND fan replaced about two years ago. On way home finalyy started blowing warmer almost hot air. Did not show overheating on dummy guage. Got out of car thought I smelled coolant. Apparently I did I just went outside coolant on the ground! I really like this car but not all the issues to go along with it. I have 110, 000 on her.
Old 27 Mar 2010, 01:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Munkyboy...
Test your Temp sensor on the thermostat housing... These go bad and will not control your fan
Old 27 Mar 2010, 04:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Kim,

You started a different thread on the same subject. No need to post twice.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.