Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New to forum with a questions..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jan 2010, 06:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default New to forum with a questions..

Hey there, my names Brad, i'm kinda new to the forum and i have a questions about some noise in my 03 PT.. I have found most of the info that i'm lookin for from previous threads like the timing belt and the control arm bushing and spark plugs but, i haven't read anything about a noise from the drivetrain that sounds like a prop plane.. It goes with the speed of the car (not the engine speed) and is most noticable around 35-50mph.. The noise has been progressivly getting louder, I think it could be the diff gears but not sure.. if anyone knows anything about this noise, i would appreciate the help, i have a 5-speed manual if that helps too, Thanks!!

03 base pt 101k with 5-speed manual, wheels, short ram intake, VW resinator for a muffler daily driver and sometimes weekend racer (autocrossing)
Old 08 Jan 2010, 11:01 am
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: New to forum with a questions..

Have you check the wheel bearings?
Old 08 Jan 2010, 01:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: New to forum with a questions..

The sound is like coming from the center of the car... maybe a lil to the passenger side but still very close to the center of the car... but no i haven't check my wheel bearings so i'll do that just to make sure

03 base pt 101k with 5-speed manual, wheels, short ram intake, VW resinator for a muffler daily driver and sometimes weekend racer (autocrossing)
Old 08 Jan 2010, 05:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: New to forum with a questions..

You'll be surprise that some times a wheel bearing will make a sound that makes you think is something else. Is always good to check stuff like that so that way you can eliminate potencial items that can cause the problem.
Old 16 Jan 2010, 01:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: New to forum with a questions..

hey yeah i checked my wheelbearings and both of the front ones are goin bad.. thanks for the advise but just here recently i've ran into a big issue of breakin my upper and lower torque struts and the front engine mount and tranny mount.. well i broke the bolts holding the torque struts in place.. the dealer said they can't get the bolts outta the front engine plate and the ac compressor bracket so replacing the torque struts, tanny mount front engine plate and front engine mount is gonna be like 1770 bucks how much would it be at a regular mechanic shop and not the dealer???