PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Gas grade for turbo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jan 2010, 10:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Gas grade for turbo?

I searched the threads, hating to start something that's probably been hashed out, but couldn't find anything. Some of you may remember that we were offering a super low mileage '09 Turbo Ltd as an estate sale...my wife decided to pay off her siblings and keep it for herself. So far we love it except for the mediocre gas mileage. It's even doing surprisingly well in the 6" snowstorm we just had, the TCS seems to make up for the wide ski-like tires. But, I can't figure what grade of gas we're supposed to use. I've been putting in mid grade, figuring I hate to take a chance with the turbo engine. The owner's manual seems vague about it, sort of implying that both engines take regular grade. Does anyone know differently? What are people using in their turbo cars?

Hemirr
Old 09 Jan 2010, 02:53 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Gas grade for turbo?

180 hp turbo light = regular
All GTs = premium

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 09 Jan 2010, 05:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

When you open the cover for the gas cap, does a label say premium gas? If it doesn't you have a Turbo Lite and regular is fine.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 09 Jan 2010, 08:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

As the manual 'suggests' we always use Premium in our GT.
Old 09 Jan 2010, 08:44 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to fljohnboy

Inside my gas door it says premium recommended. To me that says it's not a requirement but a recommendation. My old Camaro Z28 said premium. If I used regular you would see a decrease in power. The computer would compensate for the fuel.
Old 09 Jan 2010, 09:45 am
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: Gas grade for turbo?

It makes a big diference also how you drive your Turbo car. Are you a speeder or a regular cruiser? Remember the higher the Octane the more resistance have of self-igniting. I found some info for you this may help.

What Is Octane?

What is Octane? We hear a lot about Octane in petrol and how a higher Octane rating means better performance in the majority of petrol powered engines, but why is this the case? To have a clear understanding of why high Octane fuel is better than otherwise we need to look into the structure of Octane and understand some of the terms used in relation to it.

What is Octane: The Octane Rating of Petrol

Virtually all petrol stations offer a variety of fuels with different Octane ratings, and the numbers usually range between the high 80s and the mid 90s. This number is the resistance of the fuel to self-igniting. Self ignition of fuel is bad because it may burn before the piston is in the correct position to benefit from the explosion of the fuel, which would reduce the efficiency of the engine. It is this reason - the timing of the ignition of the fuel - that makes higher Octane petrol a better fuel than lower rated petrol. It has nothing to do with the heat energy stored in the fuel, the products of the reaction, or anything else.

This number is based on the behaviour of a mixture of Octane and Heptane which is the other major component of standard fuel. For example, a mixture of 90% Octane and 10% Heptane has a standard resistance to spontaneously bursting into flame. That resistance is given the value "90". If the amount of Octane is increased to 95% and the Heptane reduced to 5%, the resistance of the fuel is rated as "95".

This effectively means that the rating of petrol is a good guide to the percentage of Octane in it. However this is not always the case. Fuels may contain other chemicals but as long as the overall mixture has the same resistance to self igniting as, say, the 90/10 mix of Octane/Heptane, that fuel can be labeled "90" Octane rating.
Old 09 Jan 2010, 03:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Your Limited Turbo only needs regular.
I keep track of my mileage and tire pressure has a significant effect. I go a couple PSI above the door sticker, and I'm getting 25 MPG on my turbo lite OVERALL - over 80,000 + Miles - all on regular gas.
I know it doesn't make sense, but short trips seem the worst for mileage.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Jan 2010, 03:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK, sounds like I have my answer. I think we have what you guys are referring to as "Turbo lite", otherwise it would be a GT, right? There's no sticker inside the gas door, I had forgotten to mention that. I think we are probably a little better off with this model, as my wife has found a new heavier right foot since getting this car, and I'm sure that has an impact on the mileage too. It is funny because she doesn't ever drive our older muscle Mopars like this! I do have the tires inflated a bit higher than recommended. Oddly enough, when keeping them at the recommended pressure which I think is 38 PSI on the door jamb, I would get the tire pressure warning lite occasionally. So thanks for all the info! Bill
Old 10 Jan 2010, 06:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemirr View Post
OK, sounds like I have my answer. I think we have what you guys are referring to as "Turbo lite", otherwise it would be a GT, right? There's no sticker inside the gas door, I had forgotten to mention that. I think we are probably a little better off with this model, as my wife has found a new heavier right foot since getting this car, and I'm sure that has an impact on the mileage too. It is funny because she doesn't ever drive our older muscle Mopars like this! I do have the tires inflated a bit higher than recommended. Oddly enough, when keeping them at the recommended pressure which I think is 38 PSI on the door jamb, I would get the tire pressure warning lite occasionally. So thanks for all the info! Bill
The Turbo Lite only has the auto tranny with no autostick.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 14 Aug 2010, 12:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I live in Nascar country. 5 miles from charlotte motor speedway, so all the stations or most carry racing fuel which is 100 Octane. lol it also costs $7 a gallon. I fill up with it every 20 fillups or so.