Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help me save my PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jan 2010, 01:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help me save my PT

Another problem the mechanic can't solve. I have an 02, non turbo. New timing belt, water pump, torque struts upper and lower. Two weeks ago had new belts put on. This week the car makes a loun whining during acceleration. Put it in Neutral and rev it up and it still whines. Mechanic told me it is not unusual for 160,000 miles and to drive it until it dies, but it is not the tranny. The tranny shop says either the torque converter is going bad or the pump in the tranny. Told me to stop driving it. Someone PLEASE help. Who do I believe.
Old 09 Jan 2010, 01:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: Help me save my PT

I learn long time ago that is always good to spend a small amount of money and always when you are confuse of what is going on with your car, take it to the dealership and just get a dignostic of what is the problem. That way you dont have to guess. Many opinios can cost you a lot of money in the long run. Good luck my friend!!!
Old 09 Jan 2010, 02:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help me save my PT

I see all the threads that are on this forum. I can answer whenever I feel my input can be of assistance. So far this what has transpired:

1. Another problem the mechanic can't solve. I have an 02, non turbo. New timing belt, water pump, torque struts upper and lower. Two weeks ago had new belts put on. This week the car makes a loun whining during acceleration. Put it in Neutral and rev it up and it still whines. Mechanic told me it is not unusual for 160,000 miles and to drive it until it dies, but it is not the tranny. The tranny shop says either the torque converter is going bad or the pump in the tranny. Told me to stop driving it. Someone PLEASE help. Who do I believe.

2. If you put it in neutral and it still whines, it shouldn't be the tranny because nothing is moving in the tranny if you aren't moving. It happened right after the new belts? Was the tensioner (which is supposed to be changed with the timing belt) changed to the new style? Chrylser made a new type belt tensioner in 2003 and everybody now that changes the timing belt should change to the new tensioner because it's in the same area. The tensioner is for the serpentine and alternator belt and if the old one is going bad (and they do go bad) the belts will start to whine because the tensioner isn't putting the correct tension to the belts. Noise is hard to describe and harder to diagnose over the internet so that is my guess as to what's happening with your PT. I can't be 100% correct but that's my opinion.

3. The mechanic that changed the timing belt did not replace the tensioner, nor the water pump. A few months later, the water pump went out. Neither one of the mechanics said anything about the tensioner. The whining does not change when you put the car in neutral. It is there at idle, through acceleration and in neutral and increases when revving the engine. I have driven it for the last 3 days and it hasn't changed. I don't know what to do as I have very limited money and really can't afford another $500.00 in labor. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

4. I can't tell you more than I already have. Noise is one of the most difficult to diagnose over the internet. Your going to have to find a mechanic that can use a stethoscope or other tool to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Jan 2010, 11:54 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

From a Chrysler tech and GM tech friends of mine:
If the timing belt was replaced that is too tight, they will whine!
Old 10 Jan 2010, 04:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767skyking View Post
From a Chrysler tech and GM tech friends of mine:
If the timing belt was replaced that is too tight, they will whine!
That was my first thought.

2010 Classic in Deepwater Blue w/Grey Interior
2008 Bullitt Mustang #901