Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
don't run well when cold...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jan 2010, 10:43 am
Regular Cruiser

Default don't run well when cold... P0304

my 06 pt with 63000 km, when its cold like -10C and under, start well, idle well, but if I start to drive right there without letting it warm up a bit it will die very fast as soon as I let off the gas, i.e. when changing gear. also one time I got a check engine light with the code P0304(cylinder 4 misfire). and when I start the engine right after that it will be hard to start and will run rough for 4-5 seconds

I'm thinking it could be the spark plugs and wires, I bought thems and I will install thems soon.

is there anything else I should check that could cause this problem?

Last edited by yaris; 18 Apr 2010 at 09:46 pm.
Old 14 Jan 2010, 03:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: don't run well when cold...

yaris, sounds like you are on the right track for a problem. Good Luck!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 14 Jan 2010, 07:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Most likely that's it - when cold the transmission fluid is thick and puts enough load that if spark isn't good, it'll choke...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Mar 2010, 11:25 am
Regular Cruiser

changed the plugs and wires a few months ago but I still get the same problem when the outside temperature is around the freezing point

under 0 everything works well, above 0 too, but around 0 the engine start well but I think the idle is slower and a bit more rough than it should be at these cold temperatures, its like if the choke should engage but it doesen't.

my engine idle at 1200 when the choke is engaged, like when the temps are under 0, and at 600 when the engine is hot or at temps at/over 0, but the thing is that at cold temps, like around 0, if it idle at 600 its a bit rough and it will die when I let off the throttle to change gear

I started it a few hour ago, the outside temps was 3, and the choke acted like it was going on and off, the idle was rough and unstable between 800 and 1000rpm

any ideas on what it could be?
Old 22 Mar 2010, 02:29 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Your problem is not spark plugs or wires. They would give you more consistent problems, not only under specific starting conditions.

Check for vacuum leaks. Check all your rubber hoses and lines.

You may also have a carbon buildup issue. Try running a half can of seafoam through an intake hose to clear out any excess carbon deposits.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 04:47 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by heifetz17 View Post
Your problem is not spark plugs or wires. They would give you more consistent problems, not only under specific starting conditions.

Check for vacuum leaks. Check all your rubber hoses and lines.

You may also have a carbon buildup issue. Try running a half can of seafoam through an intake hose to clear out any excess carbon deposits.
thanks I'll check the hoses

for the carbon deposits... do you mean there could be some carbon buildup in the engine, at only 67000km? what would cause this?
Old 18 Apr 2010, 07:32 pm
Regular Cruiser

I checked all the hoses and lines as heifetz17 said, they all looks fine.

For the carbon buildup, I have not tried the seafoam yet as I'm not familiar with this product, I will read a bit on this to know what it is and what it do. Also, where exactly to put it?

So... this morning the outside temp was at -1 celcius, my pt started well, as usual, idle was at 1100rpm, but it was idling rough and I got a code: P0304(cyl.4 misfire), started driving and there was a lack of power and the sound of a rough running engine for a second or two and then it got back to normal till I stopped at a red light, the engine started idling rough at 1100 rpm again and it got back to normal when I started moving and for the rest of the ride.

is it just a ''luck'' that the misfire is on the same cylinder as the first time I got this code? or may there be a problem with this cylinder only? can the cyl.4 have, for some reasons, less compression than it should making it the only one to misfire?

I'm about to run out of ideas with this problem... maybe I'll just have the dealer check it
Old 19 Apr 2010, 10:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

after a quick search on the forum I got a few more ideas of things to check before bringing it to the dealer:

1-try the wire and plug of another cylinder on the cylinder 4 to check if the problem is the wire/plug or something else

2-I read about some cases of bad lower intake gasket, which would explain why it only happend under a certain temperature, next time my pt will idle rough I will shoot a bit of wd40 around the intake gasket to see if the engine will smooth out
Old 21 Apr 2010, 10:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris View Post
after a quick search on the forum I got a few more ideas of things to check before bringing it to the dealer:

1-try the wire and plug of another cylinder on the cylinder 4 to check if the problem is the wire/plug or something else

2-I read about some cases of bad lower intake gasket, which would explain why it only happend under a certain temperature, next time my pt will idle rough I will shoot a bit of wd40 around the intake gasket to see if the engine will smooth out
Good ideas, and
3- Take off Idle Air Controller (right behind throttle body - and spray carb cleaner on it....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles