Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2008 PT Starting Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jan 2010, 04:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool 2008 PT Starting Issues

I have a 2008 PT Cruiser with 50k. I noticed that it was hard to start (like a low charged battery) when I attempted to start the car. The next day it seemed to start just fine. The next day it started just fine and I drove it to work. When I went to start it after work it would not start. It only "clicked" a couple of times, then nothing. It did jump start with no issues and I drove it home (at night with lights on). I put it on a charger overnight. It started fine in the morning, but then again it would not start after work. Is this a battery problem or alternator issue? When I checked the battery (with engine running) using a volt meter (at the battery post), it was measuring at 18.4 volts. Is it over-charging? Isn't that just as bad as under-charging? Or is there a different or better way to check it? I think that it should read around 14 - 14.5 at the battery while the engine is running, is that correct? Thanks in advance for any help and advise. Steve.
Old 14 Jan 2010, 07:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2008 PT Starting Issues

Welcome.

Sears & some other places test charging system and battery for free.
How do the terminals look? All crudded up?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 14 Jan 2010, 08:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2008 PT Starting Issues

Thanks for the "Welcome"...

All of the cable ends are clean and look good. No corrosion has been seen on the battery or cables.