Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transmission fluid leaking and possible lawsuit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jan 2010, 09:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Transmission fluid leaking and possible lawsuit

Hi, guys. I posted a thread a week ago about the transmission fluid leaking of our 04 PT cruiser. Following some good advices from the replies, I made a contact with a Chrysler representative. Few days later, I was told by Chrysler that they have sent a notice to the dealer and ask me to schedule another repair service. I made it and dropped off the car to the dealer this Thursday. In the afternoon, they called me saying that they could not find any fluid leaking after running it for more than 2 hrs. THIS IS THE 4TH TIME I ASKED THEM TO FIX THE PRObLEM AND IT HAS ALREADY LASTED FOR TWO AND HALF MONTHS! I am very suspicious about their honesty now since I saw fluid drops on the ground before and after the last visit. I wiped the transmission fluid pan with my hand and there are definitely a lot pink liquid on my fingers. And the even worse thing is, they bumped our car and made a dent just above the front wheel. The guy denied they did it. This is totally disgusting. My boss suggested me to read the Virginia Lemon Law to see if it applies to my situation. However, the law only applies to vehicles of less than 18 months old. Does anybody know if the Lemon Law or any other law protects customer such as in my situation? If I sue them, could I win the lawsuit? Our car is still under transmission warranty. Any comments and suggestions will be really appreciated.

Joe
Old 16 Jan 2010, 10:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: Transmission fluid leaking and possible lawsuit

Is very important to have a mechanic that you can trust. Take the car to another Chrysler dealership. Dont tell them about the other dealership. Make them give you a dignostic in writing about the leak. Then you can go back to the dealership that did'nt fix the problem and have a complain to Corporate. But first you have to get that dignostic to prove they gave you the run around. Good luck my friend!!
Old 16 Jan 2010, 11:14 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission fluid leaking and possible lawsuit

I would like to keep up with this one. I am a Chrysler technician, and I have a few ideas where it's leaking from. Where do you see the fluid? Is it just on the pan? How bad does it leak? Can you get under and look at it? If possible can you get some pics from the top and the bottom?
Old 17 Jan 2010, 11:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

i work for a dodge/jeep/chrysler dealership in oklahoma two things they need to do is put in a leak detector dye drive the pt 150 miles and recheck with black light the other thing is we change a lot of shift solenoid packs that leak on pt's if you can't see it and fluid is on the pan look above and in front of the pan and there is a shift pack there . but the dye wont lie good luck sorry you got a crappy dealer we are #1 in the nation for sales and customer service before and after the purchase.
Old 18 Jan 2010, 03:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

Trying to sneak warranty work past a second dealership is just not a winner.

The first dealership was reimbursed for parts and labor throught the warranty system and that repair or effort is on record as part of the Vehcile Identification Program. In your case, becasue of District Mgr involvement, there is CAIR report also attached to the VIP with all the information including conservations between you/the dealership(s)/Chrysler. Get emotional/make treaths/rants/raves/general commets and such are all there for Dealerhip(s) to view.

The VIP is checked at the service desk at the time of write up on every chrylser vehilce to see if any warranty remains and to see what warranty efforts have been expended. This is accomplished before any effort is expneded on the job to establish who is going to pay for the effort.

Blowing smoke will get you nothing at the second dealership.
Old 18 Jan 2010, 08:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

What you may want to try doing is calling a few transmission shops and ask them how much they charge for a look over. some places do offer free estimates. Let them know that Chrysler is stating no leaks, but you would like a second opinion. Be upfront with the trans shops, who knows. they might be pretty helpful.

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* stock nsrt rims powdercoated black, chrome pillars.
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*

Old 18 Jan 2010, 09:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yeah tranny fluid leak can only come from a few spots. Would really like to know if it isn't the dipstick or pan gasket. Willing to bet its the pan gasket or seals.

As mentioned, its very important to have a mech that isn't trying to get you out the door. You need someone who is actually gonna look at it.
Old 19 Jan 2010, 12:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

My PT tranny leaks also, but only when the temp get low. I have found that the solenoid gaskit leaks, but only when it is cold out. I have put up with my leak for 3 years with out an issue. As soon as the out door temp gos up the leak stops. A little tranny fluid on the floor can look like a lot. I do not use more then 1/4 qt per winter her in Ohio and we get cold here.
02' Black Woodie Limited Edition Drop in K&N Air Filter w/air box mod. 06 tail lights, Limo tint all around, orange LED interior, Mopar 8 inch sub, Stull side pipes. Silver stars upfront, a little chrome
Old 20 Jan 2010, 12:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEH20 View Post
Trying to sneak warranty work past a second dealership is just not a winner.

The first dealership was reimbursed for parts and labor throught the warranty system and that repair or effort is on record as part of the Vehcile Identification Program. In your case, becasue of District Mgr involvement, there is CAIR report also attached to the VIP with all the information including conservations between you/the dealership(s)/Chrysler. Get emotional/make treaths/rants/raves/general commets and such are all there for Dealerhip(s) to view.

The VIP is checked at the service desk at the time of write up on every chrylser vehilce to see if any warranty remains and to see what warranty efforts have been expended. This is accomplished before any effort is expneded on the job to establish who is going to pay for the effort.

Blowing smoke will get you nothing at the second dealership.

I know that is wat the procedure is supposed to be but I recently had a transmission part repair done. After The the bill for $1200.00 dollars. I started thinking a couple of days later that my car, and the part replaced should be covered under the extended warranty. I called Chrysler and confirmed that I did in fact have the 7/70 and it should have been covered and the shop would have known that if they had used the "proper procedure". When I took the car back and confronted the service desk, they look it up and said that I was right and they should have seen that at the time I brought the vehicle. Seems like they tried a "fast one" and I caught them. I only had to pay the $100.00 deductable and got my excessive charge money back.
So, don't always depend on the dealers to be doing the right thing.

People say I have a drinking problem. I Drink... I Get Drunk... I Fall Down... No problem! ! !