PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

07 PT with Oil Leak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jan 2010, 09:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 07 PT with Oil Leak

Help..just replaced the crankshaft seal that seemed to just blow out for no apparent cause..run great after it was fixed..drove a few days..and BAM! The seal has blown out again..could a faulty oil pressure relief valve cause this? Thinking the oil pressure is to high and making the seal blow. This car only has 25 thouasand miles on it..
Old 18 Jan 2010, 12:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 07 PT with Oil Leak

Welcome to the Forum!! Seeing that the PT only has 25K and that it is a 2007, it should be covered by the Lifetime Warranty. I would take it back to the dealer to be repaired.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 18 Jan 2010, 04:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Red face Re: 07 PT with Oil Leak

Thanks for this awesome forum..so I read one of the threads that talked about the Crankshaft problem..put it on the rack and tadah!! The crankshaft walks out about a 1/4 inch..Yikes!! So now its decision time..thanks again...
Old 23 May 2010, 10:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Im a chry dealer factory train tech and that is a known problem with the 2.4L inside the PT Cruiser. It will require a short block to repair
Old 16 Jan 2011, 01:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2007 PT Cruiser with 47,000 miles on it. I bought it at 33,000 miles and never had a moment's trouble until a few weeks ago when the oil spewed during a trip. The Chrysler mechanic said there's an 1/8 in. endplay on cranckshaft and pops out the new seal he placed. Even though it's out of original warranty, Chrysler will not pay for new crankshaft. If it's a known problem, I don't understand why they won't honor replacement. What options do I have?
Old 17 Jan 2011, 04:02 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTeeza View Post
Im a chry dealer factory train tech and that is a known problem with the 2.4L inside the PT Cruiser. It will require a short block to repair
I see this is an old Post that was short-lived. JTeeza(a Chrysler Tech) popped in/out and hasn't been back since . His knowledge would have been valuable to this forum.

Are there any other Chrysler Techs here that have seen this problem?
Old 17 Jan 2011, 08:56 am
Veteran Cruiser

All car companies 'disown' their vehicles after warranty is over.
You can talk to the Chrysler rep, they usually will cut you a deal
(pay for labor or the part). As with anything, it pays to complain.
Mentioning you're on a large automotive forum may be helpful.

There should be no reason the thrust bearing fails- Unless this, too was redesigned for the NGC block.
Some vehicles (RARE) had problems with the torque converter 'ballooning', putting
extreme pressure on the thrust bearing. I've not heard of a thrust bearing failing
in the old 2.0/2.4 even with high pressure clutches being staged at 6k, my
2.0 had 278k, there's nothing wrong ...

I'd disassemble the engine and see what's occurred. Lower end problems are
pretty EZ to 'fix', you can get crank kits and have parts welded.
The engine, unfortunately, became rarer, C-van's stopped using them in
certain years, and it seems the 2.7 went into the cloud cars.
You'd need a 'NGC' block if it's to be replaced.
Old 05 Feb 2011, 04:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the advice, UpTownSport. I did appeal to Chrysler again and they agreed to pay for half the work. The mechanic told me they found the thrust bearing in the bottom of the pan in many pieces. They replaced crankshaft and installed double thrust bearings. I've only had my car a week (after being in the shop a full month) and all seems well. I'm so happy to have my beautiful car back. After this experience, I would advise any PT Cruiser owners that if there is a consistent oil leak, or a widespread one after driving highway miles, please have that crankshaft seal checked and have the mechanic test for any endplay. It could save a lot of time and money.
Old 23 Mar 2011, 08:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

I thought there was a TSB on this, they had some with bad crankshafts and they would walk. As I recall it was for non-turbo versions.

Was yours PT a turbo or non turbo?

Note I am doing a search on this hence why I a brought this post back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satabra4 View Post
Thanks for the advice, UpTownSport. I did appeal to Chrysler again and they agreed to pay for half the work. The mechanic told me they found the thrust bearing in the bottom of the pan in many pieces. They replaced crankshaft and installed double thrust bearings. I've only had my car a week (after being in the shop a full month) and all seems well. I'm so happy to have my beautiful car back. After this experience, I would advise any PT Cruiser owners that if there is a consistent oil leak, or a widespread one after driving highway miles, please have that crankshaft seal checked and have the mechanic test for any endplay. It could save a lot of time and money.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
Old 30 Mar 2012, 09:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

I had the same thing happen to me on Saturday, March 24, 2012. I inherited my PT Cruiser from my sister last Summer. The car has 33,400 miles on it. Out of nowhere, oil began to gush out of the car in front of the oil pan. I had the car towed to my local mechanic. He replaced seal and wet timing belt, put the engine back together, and after 5 minutes leak began again. He did some research ans found numerous instances of this occurring in Chrysler 2.4 litre motors. The problem is excessive endplay in the crankshaft which must be replaced. Chrysler has known about this issue for some time, and there are at least 10 instances of this occurring described in this and other websites. I'm sure that there are many other instances occurring, that were fixed under warranty and not reported. I contacted Chrysler and reported the problem. Today I received a phone call from the Warranty Case Manager, who advised me that Chrysler will not be able to help because car was not taken immediately to Chrysler repair shop. I am an attorney, and intend to file suit against Chrysler Monday morning. I have handled other cases against Chrysler, and they simply will not stand behind their products. There is no requirement in their Drive-Train Warranty that the car first be taken to Chrysler dealership. Any help, advice or comments would be appreciated.