PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Replacing Alternator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jan 2010, 02:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Replacing Alternator

I asked this some months ago but thought I'd try again hoping someone new has a better answer.

I have a 2001 Cruiser with automatic. The alternator has failed and needs to be replaced. I do not have the funds at this time to take it to a shop to have the work done. We got the defective unit loose and then discovered the factory way to remove/replace it is to first remove the passengers side drive shaft shaft.

Does anyone know another way to get the alternator out and back in?
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324
Old 21 Jan 2010, 03:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Replacing Alternator

See if this helps:

Alternator Removal and Replace on 2002 PT Cruiser 4Cyl - Topix

Google is your friend.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 22 Jan 2010, 08:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

Mine originally failed back around May. A friend came over and helped me get it loose but we couldn't get it out the bottom so it's sat all this time as I didn't have the funds to have a garage work on it. I had done a lot of searching back then with no luck. That info is dated November of last year. By that time I had almost given up but thought I'd try this forum one one time as a last ditch effort to get it running again. Thanks for your help, hopefully this will do the trick.
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

Old 22 Jan 2010, 09:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

Excerpted from the link in Crewzin's post: (formatting came unglued, but otherwise easy to read)

hillbilly678

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2009

Larry Adams wrote:
Can anyone tell me what you must do to change a alternator on a 2002 PT Cruiser 4 cyl. Thanks Larry

ok larry heres how its the easiest way ur not gonna believe this where the exhaust manifold is there is an ear sticking out where part of the heat shield is bolted on the corner u do not need that corner so cutt it off with a small grinder or zip wheel and after u have removed the heat shield ull know how much to cut off on the corner this is the only thing holding it back from coming out i just did one 10 min ago my alternator is out in less than 10 min dont do all that other stuff cause theres a lot more to do with what there telling u to do
Old 11 Mar 2010, 10:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

I finally got my Cruiser's alternator changed out. We tried the grinding lip off the exhaust manifold but that didn't work. Mine didn't look like what was described.

In the end I had it towed to a local CarX and let them install the alternator and belts I had already purchased. Roughly 2 hours later and $210 for tow and repair, I had it back.

Old 12 Mar 2010, 12:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

So I'm confused, is it an Alternator or Generator?
Old 17 May 2010, 10:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My alternator went out today and I was extremely hesitant about dropping my drive axle to fix it. Hillybilly's tip looks like the easiest way to do it..unfortunetly I don't have a grinder and was short on time so I took out my a/c dryer and fit the alternator through the top. My a/c has been discharged for about 2 years so make 100% sure yours is discharged as well or you WILL hurt yourself.
Old 14 Apr 2013, 09:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

An alternator is a piece of equipment that transforms mechanical energy (a rotating shaft) into electrical energy via alternating current (AC). A generator has basically the same description...but by direct current (DC) which is an alternator with a diode bridge (bridge rectifier).

Old school, new skool...Alternator or generator...for what it's worth, the manual calls it a GENERATOR.

The old '68 Chevelle...easy. 1/2" & 9/16" end wrenches. The PT... a royal pain in the butt!

Per the manual, (vaguely) remove air cleaner lid, disconnect air inlet sensor and make-up air hoses, negative battery terminal, loosen T-bolt locknut.

Raise car on hoist, remove right front wheel, remove accessory drive splash shield, pencil strut, lower pivot bolt, remove axle....

There's more. (didn't I go through this a few weeks ago when replacing a wheel bearing???)

Fortunately, (not really...still went thru above steps!) I was able to see that the wiring somehow came loose (Thanks, Irwin Chrysler in Troy, OH) and tangled around the axle. I was able to replace/splice wiring and all is well! Awaiting towing bill but able to return the GENERATOR to the store and get a full refund. Still a pain. (do I hold grudges? maybe. )

Axle seal on tranny still good...found a couple MORE fasteners that IRWIN CHRYSLER IN TROY OHIO didn't put on...

So.......If you want specifics, I have limited access to entire manual. PM or email me... there's different procedures for 1.6, 2.0, 2.4 turbo and diesel.
Old 15 Apr 2013, 04:44 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Milty: Just to add a little more, generators were added to cars in the 1920's [or before] for electric headlights and 'self-starters'. They were used up until the 1960's. Generators produce direct current. They are about 4" in diameter and 6" long - black painted steel. --- Then alternators became commonly used. Alternators produce more power at idle, and are usually lighter in weight [aluminum housing]. They produce alternating current. Then they modify that current by using diodes to change it to direct current [13 to 16 volts].

When you buy what's called a household generator, it produces alternating current. --- Confused more?
Old 06 Jul 2014, 08:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just replaced the alternator in my 2008 PT Convertible (non-turbo). You don't need to remove the drive shaft. Just remove the knuckle where you can shift the axle shaft forward. There is a rubber donut on the shaft that was keeping the axle shaft in the way. I slid the donut forward on the shaft until it cleared the engine compartment and then push the drive shaft forward up against the engine. There is enough room to wiggle the Alternator out. I tried to pull the Alternator out through the top but there is simply too many things in the way and removing the heat shields was a complete pain. Also, whatever method your are going to do, clear the way before you remove the alternator. I could not get the axle retaining nut off so I left the knuckle attached. All in all, the job was a real knuckle buster.