PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How to Repair the Multifunction Switch w/ Pictures (Fog Lights)

Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By reh8388

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jan 2010, 02:18 am
Young Cruiser

Post How to Repair the Multifunction Switch w/ Pictures (Fog Lights)

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser Limited and like many of you, the fog lights didn't work. I finally took the multifunction switch apart and fixed it. Below are step by step instructions on how to repair your own multifunction switch.

The process is very simple and I think that anyone who has the tools to do the job should have no problems accomplishing this.

Hope this helps some people out:

Tools:
No.2 Phillips Head Screwdriver
T20 Torxtorx Bit
T10 Torxtorx Bit
Flat Head Screwdriver
Qtips

Tilt the steering wheel all the way up as far as it can go and lock it into place. Look under the steering column and you will see two screw holes. Use the No.2 phillips head screwdriver to remove the screws, then place them somewhere safe.

Carefully remove the two plastic covers (upper and lower) from the steering column.

Tilt the steering wheel all the way down and lock it in place.

Use the T20 Torx Bit to remove the two screws on the top of the steering column, then place the screws somewhere safe.

Pull back on the red tabs that are on top of the connectors until they click, these do not come all the way out. Now disconnect the two cables that are connected to the multifunction switch.

Remove the multifunction switch from the steering column.

I suggest you take the switch inside and work at a table from this point forward

Remove the turn signal relay from the back of the multifunction switch and set it aside.

Use the T10 Torx bit to remove the two screws that secure the back panel of the multifunction switch. Put the screws in a safe place.

Using the flat head screwdriver, carefully lift up on the tabs securing the back panel to the switch housing, working from the top of the switch around to the bottom. There is a total of 6 tabs to be released.

BEFORE REMOVING THE BACK PANEL - make sure the switch is laying flat with the back panel up. There are two pieces that will fall out if you have it tipped. If these pieces do fall out use the pictures below to put them back where they belong.

Using a Q-tip clean the fog light contacts.

On the back panel of the multifunction switch is a small contact that is mounted on a spring.

This is part of the fog light switch circuit and is the part that was malfunctioning with mine.

Carefully remove the contact, this part is pliable and could be broken easily.

Inspect the plastic track that the contact slides in for any rough spots. Clean the area and replace the metal contact.

Check to be sure that the contact moves freely and doesn’t jam.

Now carefully place the back panel back onto the switch housing and click it into place. Make sure that all six of the tabs have clicked into place.

Use the T10 torx bit to replace the two screws to secure the back panel in place.

Be sure to not over tighten these screws

Reinstall the turn signal relay.

Return to you PT and reattach the two connectors to the back of the multifunction switch.

Put the key in the ignition and start the car. Check to make sure ALL the functions of the switch now work.

When I first did mine my high beams didn’t work. I took the switch back apart and realized a piece had gotten moved out of place.

Turn the car off.

Reinstall the two screws on the top of the steering column using the T20 Torx bit.

Reinstall the two plastic steering column covers and tighten the two screws underneath.

You now have functioning fog lights without spending $$ on a new switch.

Old 22 Jan 2010, 05:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default re: How to Repair the Multifunction Switch w/ Pictures (Fog Lights)

reh8388, Fantastic step by step write up.

Crewzin, this should be a "Sticky".

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 22 Jan 2010, 05:33 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to fastdel

Don't forget that the lever behind (underneath) with the pin that pushes the contact away when fogs are off
it will also need the copper mod put over the part were the stalk pin rubs on it as this was most likely the cause of the fault
it gets a grove worn in the plastic and this wont let it push the contact back far enough (but will still let rear fogs work ok as they use a different set of contacts) this causes contact to some times short out, then contact gets hot and melts the plastic holder it moves up and down on and will also cause battery to drain in some case's

Other wise good job

Its a poor design i think and it could have been made better but it keeps the dealer happy as owners keep buying new units lol

Unless you fix them like we have

Last edited by CREWZIN; 22 Jan 2010 at 07:14 am.
Old 22 Jan 2010, 07:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

reh8388, great job.

Here is the copper mod that fastdel was just referring to:

MF switched repair

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Closed Thread

Tags
fog lights, multifunction switch, repair