Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Service Trans After 82000 miles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jan 2010, 11:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Service Trans After 82000 miles?

Hello fellow PT owners. I write this post sadly because of my own neglect. The original transmission went out on this car at 85000 miles but I had serviced it at 35000 and at 70000 miles which made it a warrenty replacement. It ended up that the transmission had been defective when it left the factory so the dealer put a brand new one in it. Due to medical problems I failed to service my automatic transmission on my Cruiser in a timely manner. Now this new transmission has 82000 miles on it with the same fluid and filter in it. The question is "If I replace the fluid and filter on this transmission for the first time after 82000 miles, will it cause it to go out?" On ford products if you don't service the transmission regulary the hydrolic elements will burn up in the fluid and replacing it with new fluid will cause the unit to go out after very few miles. I would like to hear what you guys think about this.
Thank you much,
Chuck

P.S. This is a 2002 Touring Edition

Last edited by chuck2112; 22 Jan 2010 at 11:13 pm. Reason: Added the year model
Old 23 Jan 2010, 10:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Service Trans After 82000 miles?

I think it would be better to have the fluid changed than to not change it.
I had the tranny flushed (ALL the fluid changed, requires a flushing machine) at 50,000 miles on both my PTs.
Are you saying you have over 160,000 miles on your PT?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 24 Jan 2010, 09:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the feedback Quicksilverdon!
Yes, My PT has 168000 miles on it to be more exact. So far I have had to replace the timing belt, battery and radiator fan. Today I put the motor in the back of my truck to have it rebuilt. It blew a head gasket and while compression testing it I found that the strongest piston had 100 lbs of compression. It has been a great car and I don't want to be tearing it apart in six months if I only replace the head gasket. During the teardown I have found that the exhaust manifold is cracked and the lower torque strut is worn out. A parts house told me that I might as well start hitting the junk yards. Do you know where I can find these parts? Thanks again for your input and hopefully others will weigh in on the transmission fluid question.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 05:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There are always PTs being parted out - there are several here - contact them.

Here's one:
parting out a 2005 pt cruiser 17k miles

Careful - '02 had EGR, '05 doesn't

Last edited by quicksilverdon; 27 Jan 2010 at 05:55 pm.