PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Just Purchased 01 Limited PT - HIGH MILAGE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jan 2010, 06:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Just Purchased 01 Limited PT - HIGH MILAGE

Hey all, new here...

Just got a 2001 PT Cruiser Limited, Silver with Leather, and LOADED with every option avail.

It is in tip-top shape... You'd wonder how it still looks so good.

It has 170,458 Miles on it. Old owner just did brakes and new tires. I would assume at these miles the timing belt would have already been replaced? It should have broke on its own at these miles if it hasn't correct?

The reason I bought it without blinking an eye is the fact that it has been taken such great care of. He had papers for all oil changes since purchase and the longest it's ever went without one is 5,015 miles. His normal was 2,500 but sometimes would avg 3,500 - 4,500.

I got this car for a steal of $1,500 I think it was a steal, the seller was however in a hard place - - jobless. It was also a work car... to and from his job that was quite the commute. He drove 354 Miles round trip daily for work, 6 days a week. So most of the miles on the car are highway.

What should i go ahead and replace / repair just to be safe, and any other advice you can give me to keep this car in top notch shape??
Old 24 Jan 2010, 09:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Just Purchased 01 Limited PT - HIGH MILAGE

Welcome to the forum.

Don't replace anything without carefully going over all the paperwork. Your lucky to have it as most second owners haven't a clue as to how the car was taken care of.

If he kept a log of all the oil changes there should be some on things that have been fixed or changed. Yes, the timing belt would have snapped by now so a good guess it was changed around the 100K mark.

If there's no other papers except the oil changes see if there's a name of a garage on the papers or was it done at the quickie lube places. If it's a garage and it's in driving distance, go there and ask if they know the history.

If all else fails, and you have a trusted mechanic, have the front end suspension, wheels, brakes and bearings checked out. Shocks, struts and springs need to be looked over and of course a good check of the engine hoses, belts etc.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 11:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Just Purchased 01 Limited PT - HIGH MILAGE

Welcome.
Agree w/Crewzin.
If it's an auto, look for a place with a flushing machine and have all the fluid changed - be sure they only use ATF + 4 - should be done every 50,000 miles - can run up to $200.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles