Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
newbie need help! engine compatibility?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jan 2010, 04:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile newbie need help! engine compatibility?

Hi all!
We have just bought our first PT Cruiser, a 2003 2.0L Auto touring a project requiring a engine and gearbox really.
just to let you know we are in the uk.
I haven't even got it home yet, but Im working on the assumption that the gear box and engine need to be replaced, it has done 90,000 miles and the gear box is leaking and there is a bottom end knock in the engine when cold.
I have noticed that some of you have quite a few more miles on the clock than this but, I dont have any service history for it and so realy consider it easier and cheaper just to find a low milage replacement engine and box.

so my real question is will a 2L engine and auto box fit from a late 90's early 00' neon fit as there seem to be quite a few of them about here, I think the neon may have a 3 speed auto box though rarther than the 4speed in the PT would that be so

any ideas would be much appriciated
thanks
Old 26 Jan 2010, 05:10 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to fastdel
Default Re: newbie need help! engine compatibility?

hi there and welcome
as its a uk spec car it will be much safer to just replace it with a direct replacement
if you look on ebay there are a number of pt,s been broken for spares with low miles on them
by replacing with a like for like you know that all the sensors ecu etc etc will be compatable and there will be no modding needed
im in uk and have the crd engine and last week i found a crd been broken up with only 33,000 miles on it and engine was only 350
so you will be able to find anther petrol engine easy
try these guy thay break up pt all the time
ebay Item number: 160398320646
and Item number: 160398368108
also Item number: 130345167941
thay will will most likey have engines if you ask
hope this helps
and you get sorted very soon
Old 26 Jan 2010, 07:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree w/Fastdel.
The mechanics is the easy part, the sensors/wiring is the hard part.
In the US - PT engines from different years are not swappable -due to sensors/wiring harness.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Jan 2010, 05:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guy's
I think your right, for the hasle involved with trying to make some thing 'fit'
it probably aint worth it!
might also see if im jumping the gun and see whats actually wrong with it when I get it back.
is 90K a lot for one of these our clio is just coming up to 160K but it has had a little work and is diesel, which Im kind of more at home with I've only had on petrol car before, not for very long either!
thanks