Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
changed spark plugs...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Jan 2010, 03:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default changed spark plugs...

i replaced the spark plugs(champion double platinum) in my wifes 07 pt cruiser now i have a considerable decrease in gas mileage. i followed the go by on the forum but i did notice after a week of driveing that my brother in law didnt seat the map sensor all the way down on the intake so i fixed that...what made me look under the hood at things was the gas gauge was dropping much quicker than usual the weird thing was no check engine light came on that whole week. so after i fixed it the next day the check engine light comes on and i get a p0456 code (EVAP Control System Leak Detected (Very Small Leak) i reset it and it hasnt come back...car is running fine, no lack of power, no hesitations. any suggestions? should i just cough up the $100 and pay chrysler to put another set in..
Old 31 Jan 2010, 04:35 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: changed spark plugs...

Spark plugs do not effect mpg unless your plugs are bad and then you will see a drop in mpg. New plugs will only give you the mpg the car was designed for and nothing better. You do realize the dealer is totally ripping you off to change plugs. Here is a guide to changing plugs. It's pretty easy.
Spark Plug Guide

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 31 Jan 2010, 04:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

that is the go by i used so if the spark plugs dont cause a decrease in mpg and i did not do anything else to the car what else could it be?
Old 31 Jan 2010, 06:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Make sure your Brother-In-Law didn't break off the tip of the MAP sensor so it isn't sending a bad signal to the computer. It's easily broken while pulling it out of the intake. That will cause your mileage to drop.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 31 Jan 2010, 07:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok i will check that tomorrow is it easily noticable? if it is that where and how much to replace?
Old 31 Jan 2010, 07:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Ooops, I might have been thinking of the wrong sensor, although you'd better check that too. I was thinking of the IAT sensor on the air duck intake that goes into the throttle body. It was also probably taken off when the plugs were changed. It's on the hose on Step 4 of the Spark Plug Guide. There's a tiny blue bulb on the tip of the IAT sensor which can easily be broken off. If it's broken it can't measure the air coming into the throttle body and the wrong mixture of air and fuel will result. The MAP sensor is built pretty solid and there's not much chance of it being broken. It shouldn't have to be taken off the upper manifold either if the manifold is just lifted up to gain access to the plugs.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 31 Jan 2010 at 07:34 pm.
Old 31 Jan 2010, 07:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yea we realized that once we got started..that we could of left it on...i will check the other sensor tomorrow after work...any idea on that code? should i even worry about it??? the car is still under warranty till April so if it comes back i will just bring it to chrysler
Old 31 Jan 2010, 07:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

9 out of 10 times that code means the gas cap wasn't tightened the last time you got gas but since you just had the manifold off, I'd look for something that wasn't back on correctly. There's a vacuum line I think on the right side connected to the upper manifold, check that plus the hose that's attached to the PCV valve also on the right side (as you face the engine). Check all over for anything that didn't go back on tightly.

Old 31 Jan 2010, 08:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yea i checked the gas cap...my dad said to spray around the lines with carbuerator cleaner to find a leak and the engine rpms will increase but i couldnt find anything...
Old 31 Jan 2010, 08:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You took off the intake manifold, right? Might have an intake leak - but usually that gives a rough idle.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles