PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
timing belt no start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Feb 2010, 10:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default timing belt no start

2004 PT 142,000

Just changed the timing belt, water pump, spark plugs. Back together and slow cranking and no start.

Wondering if there are any troubleshooting clues that will help determine if there is a timing issue or another issue before I tear it down again.

I did have the crankshaft rotate a few times when the timing belt was off. I did make sure the TDC mark on the crank was on the trailing edge, and the 2 pointers on the camshafts were aligned. I'm not familiar with these engines. Does it matter if the crank has turned an even or odd number of times in relation to the cams, or does it only matter that all is aligned when the belt is on?

I cranked for a few mintues and only code that showed up was for no oil pressure. No codes for crank or cam.

I pulled one plug, there was fuel on it. I turned it over and there was spark, so the computer is at least trying to fire. Engine is also turning over very slow. Put a new battery in it, along with a charger and still seems slow. Almost sounds like it wants to start. Any other tests or clues before I dig in on this?
Old 02 Feb 2010, 06:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: timing belt no start

See if reading this helps:
No start after broken timing belt

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Feb 2010, 05:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the quick reply.

I had already read that thread and a few more prior.

What I'm hoping for a is a few more details on the diagnostics. If I made some collosal mistake and the timing was off, would the car not generate a fault for cam/crank misalignment? I did end up rotating the shafts a few times while fighting the belt. All 3 timing marks were aligned though.

I did have to crank the engine up pretty high on the passenger side to get the engine mount out. Is there something that could have happenned there? I don't see any damage to any connectors.

The car has sat for a couple months in a cold garage too. Any other quick diagnostic type checks to do?

Thanks guys!
Old 21 Feb 2010, 05:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just pulled the car apart again, after not working on it for a few weeks.

Timing marks are lined up perfect, so that was not the issue.

Did anybady have confirmation of if it matters if the crankshaft was rotated an even or odd number of turns while the timing belt was off? Thats the only thing out of the ordinary that happened with this job.

Any other things to look for that could have been damaged during the job? Otherwise it may just be an unrelated starting issue?
Old 21 Feb 2010, 08:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

If you have fuel on the plugs and spark you should be getting something. If the cams were off I'd expect a backfire.
Either your battery is kind of weak if you were checking for spark with the plugs out (no compression) or your plugs are fuel fouled.
I've had a few no starts like this that got going with a fresh set of plugs.
One other long shot. A lot of cranking on a really old engine without much compression can wash the oil off the cylinder walls.
I've squirted a couple shots of oil in the cylinders and cranked it over without the plugs to help seal a bit.
Old 21 Feb 2010, 10:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I took everything apart and put it back together today. Still the same results.

I verified the timing marks are exactly on with 2.4L and Up in the correct orientation.

Car cranks but will not start. I notice tach does not move when cranking, is that normal?

Only code that sets after cranking is the no oil pressure code.

Is there a troubleshooting flowchart or diagnostic help online? How do I check the basics like fuel pressure in this car? Is there a way to know if the cam and crank sensors are working without a scan tool?

Any and all advice appreciated!

Thanks
Old 22 Feb 2010, 07:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Have you checked for spark? Pull a plug wire, stick a bare wire in and hold near engine block with insulated pliers and look for spark.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Feb 2010, 10:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

yep, did that already. There is spark.

Since I've not worked with a chrysler before I'm wondering though about some of the clues that would help me deduce if a sensor is bad or something.

Other engines I have seen a flowchart type approach, such as test spark, if yes, then check X, if no then check Y. If there is spark, can one assume that the computer is getting good crank and cam signals? I can hear the fuel pump prime when key is turned on.

Anybody have an idea on what to check next? My reasoning would be to check fuel. The one plug I pulled was not soaked after a few minutes of cranking as I would have expected.

Also, I do have the car on the jack stand with the right front wheel off, and right front is a little higher. Is there a crash reset or anything else to check that would inhibit running?
Old 22 Feb 2010, 03:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

I remember reading another thread on this and although the marks were lined up, he was 180 degs out. Since you moved the crank during install, are you sure #1 is TDC when the marks line up? Just a thought...

2010 Classic in Deepwater Blue w/Grey Interior
2008 Bullitt Mustang #901
Old 22 Feb 2010, 11:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Only got about 20 minutes alone in the garage tonite...darn wife and kids!

Anways compression test was done, got 90psi on all cylinders. Engine is cold due to no start, and in my opinion cranking very slowly. I bought a new battery, and have a charger on it. Never seen a pt before this one, but most 4 cylinders I've seen crank faster than this.

I did not find the port to check fuel pressure, but I got fuel mist out of the cylinders when doing the compression test, so i assume fuel is not an issue. Where is the test point for fuel pressure?

We only had the car a short time before I pulled it apart to do the timing belt. It cranked slow then too, but started right up.

Also verified I have spark on all 4 cylinders. Any more ideas?