Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Idle problem on new 2002 pt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Apr 2002, 04:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Idle problem on new 2002 pt

I know I have read about a few people having problems with their 5 speed idling. Mine is really annoying several passengers have mentioned it to me as well. Mine feels like a miss when stopped. Other wise every thing else is ok. Took it to the dealer after having it for a few weeks and the stated they couldnt find anything wrong with it. To give it a few thousand miles to see if the computer makes the changes. Has anyone elses gotten better in time or is the dealer just hoping I will go away. Thanks for any help you can give me. These sites are great for new PT owners.

Old 17 Apr 2002, 05:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sain,
First, how bout going into the other two message (just like this one) and trying to delete them.
Now for your problem. Not sure if this will help or not but open your hood and see if you can get to the negative battery terminal. You will probably have to take part of the air filter off. Take the negative terminal off the battery and leave it off for at least a minute. Then reconnect it, put everything back together and go for a ride. Slowly at first then drive it like you do normally. As you drive it the computer will re-learn the necessary calculations for running the car. Hopefully, it will clear up the miss your having at idle. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't, but it's worth a try. Good Luck.

Old 17 Apr 2002, 06:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry about the other 2 messages. Kept getting a message on my screen telling me to retry to send message-- didnt get posted. i will try to figure out how to delete them. Thanks for the advice about disconnecting the neg. terminal on battery tried that already and it didnt work.

Old 18 Apr 2002, 03:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

I still have an idle miss on my 2002. Dealer tells me the same BS to drive it 3000 miles and see if it improves. Well I'm at 2000 miles now and no change. Everything checks out OK with diagnostics too. They even attached an electronic co pilot that records data while I drive and sent this to DC but nothing was out of the ordinary. Reprogramming or resetting the computer did not help either. I suspect platinum plugs might help but I want the shop to do it so they don't blame me for messing around with it. I'll be going back in for the 4th time for this and I'll tell you I'm getting really tired of this. I'll post a fix if they figure it out.

-Ed

Old 18 Apr 2002, 11:29 am
Regular Cruiser

Ya know, mine has been running really rough in the mornings now for about a week or so but seems fine after it warms up....don't know, I do know that its not a Honda, so I expect it to not be perfect...lol, but still very happy with car...be cool, James

P.S. I'm just at 2,600 miles