Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Synthetic oil or conventional oil?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Feb 2010, 10:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Synthetic oil or conventional oil?

I am installing a rebuilt engine in my Cruiser. Which should I use, synthetic oil or conventional oil and why?
Thanks,
Chuck
Old 05 Feb 2010, 11:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Synthetic oil or conventional oil?

How often do you change the oil and filter?
What type of driving do you do?
What are the ambient temp extrems in both direction?
How much $$$$$ do you allocate to oil and filter changes?
What is the average change in elevation that you vehicle will encounter on a normal day's use?

Fill in the blanks and get back to us.
Old 05 Feb 2010, 11:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

We change the oil around 3500-4000 miles. My 23 year old son drives it probley about 45- 50 miles a day (collage and work) mostly highway. We are in Texas so the temperature normally ranges from about 25 deg. during the winter to 105 deg. during the summer. I have no actual allocation for oil expense but at the same time I don't want to spend extra money unneccessarely. As far as elevation this part of Texas is pretty much flat.
I did not realize there were so many factors. Thank you for spending the time.
Chuck
Old 06 Feb 2010, 06:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There is no debate. Synthetic oil is better - period. Only drawback is cost, but what is your engine worth? AdvanceAuto had a deal for 5 qts Mobil1 AND a Mobil1 filter for $28..
I go 5,000 miles on synthetic.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Feb 2010, 08:20 am
Regular Cruiser

If you increase your interval to 5000 or even 6000 miles based on your driving situtation--your cost will average out to very close to that of petrol oil changes every 3000-3500 miles and you will not be doing it as often. If your PT is turbo charged--the syn oil is the only way to go at any extened oil change interval.

If you are going to remain at 3000-3500 miles per change and do them religously--petrol oil will be more than adequate and the cost factor will be approximately the same.

I personally go with the 5000 mile change with Mobile 5W-30 in all 3 of my vehicles--08 Turbo Pt--02 Mercedes SLK 320 and 04 Volvo XC-70. All since new with not the first hint engine problems.

I also use the oil change interval as my reminder to rotate the tires--5000 miles rotations will greatly impove the life of your tires.

How did come up this recommendation - retired Chrysler Dealership Servie Manager.
Old 06 Feb 2010, 12:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck2112 View Post
I am installing a rebuilt engine in my Cruiser. Which should I use, synthetic oil or conventional oil and why?
Thanks,
Chuck
Use regular oil for the first 6,000 miles until the engine breaks in. Then switch to synthetic. The engine may not break in with synthetic.
Old 06 Feb 2010, 12:46 pm
Young Cruiser

i bought a 2003 chevy venture van with 85,000 miles on it owner used synthetic oil so im continuing using synthetic oil my question is it common for synthetic oil to use a quart every 1000 miles .as it does like clockwork.there is no leaks and no blue smoke out of the exhaust ?
Old 06 Feb 2010, 01:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
There is no debate. Synthetic oil is better - period. Only drawback is cost, but what is your engine worth? AdvanceAuto had a deal for 5 qts Mobil1 AND a Mobil1 filter for $28..
I go 5,000 miles on synthetic.
Agree, there is no debate. You can change right now or wait for car to get to 3k miles. Engine is broken in at 500 miles nowadays. Don't change synthetic every 3k miles or it's a waste. Change at 6k miles. Been doing that for years, even on my modified ones.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 06 Feb 2010, 02:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkl View Post
i bought a 2003 chevy venture van with 85,000 miles on it owner used synthetic oil so im continuing using synthetic oil my question is it common for synthetic oil to use a quart every 1000 miles .as it does like clockwork.there is no leaks and no blue smoke out of the exhaust ?
Probably not. The oil consumption is more likely to be a function of loose tolerances within the engine, or the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system malfunctioning a little and sucking too much air out of the valve cover. (Or both.) A simple test would be to use regular "dino" oil on one change. Switching back and forth between regular ("dino") and synthetic is not an issue--I do it a lot, and I even mix them. If it still burns oil, it wasn't the synthetic oil that caused the problem.

BUT, it is very unlikely that the synthetic oil would be the problem. Synthetic oil has a higher flash point than regular oil. That means that the cylinder temperature needs to be higher to burn off synthetic than it does to burn off regular oil. I have cured oil-burning problems in other people's vehicles used for heavy towing by switching to synthetic. In one example, the pull from San Dimas, CA to Barstow, CA using a Ford F-250 360 V8 pulling a 5th wheel trailer used to burn one quart of normal 10W-40 over that distance, which included the grade up Cajon Pass. Switching to 10W-40 synthetic stopped the oil burning because of the synthetic's higher flash point.

Burning a quart every 1,000 miles won't produce blue smoke you can see. Once you get to a quart every 300 miles or so, then you can see it.
Old 06 Feb 2010, 03:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkl View Post
Both of our cars ('04 PT & '05 Neon SRT-4) average out around 1/2 quart every 6k.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic