PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fog Lamps.... Just did both MFS repairs, not working

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Feb 2010, 09:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Fog Lamps.... Just did both MFS repairs, not working

Just got my PT last week....

The fog lamps don't work... Took out the MF switch and did both repairs... the spring loaded connector was stuck, fixed it now moving freely, the plastic arm was worn out, pulled it out and also fixed it.

Now when you pull the Headlight handle out to turn on the Fog Lamps, the little piece of plastic drops, and pushing it now causes it to pop-up.

However they still don't work.... I have been thinking tho, before I started all this, the plastic arm was broke. The piece that moves up and down when you pull out the switch was just stuck down... If my gut feeling is right, then down would cause the fog lamps to always be on, when it's pushed up it should cause them to turn off.

If that's correct they would have always been on before I tried to fix them, but they aren't. I checked the fuse and it's fine...

I guess my question is this... The fog lamp indicator light lamp does not iluminate in the cluster before or after the fix. What could be the cause of this?

There are light bulbs in both of the fog lights, but I can't test if they work or not as I can't get them to come on. Other than the fuse and the the multi-function switch, what could be causing them to not work? If both bulbs are burnt out will they not work, and the fog lamp indicator in the cluster not come on?

I don't want to buy a new MF switch, cause I don't think that would help, as I now have the one that was already in there, clearly functioning... It moves up and down to turn the lights off, and on when you pull / push it now.

What do I try next?
Old 08 Feb 2010, 07:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Fog Lamps.... Just did both MFS repairs, not working

You say you clearly have a functioning switch - it's not so clear to me - your switch sure seems bad.
Indicator comes on when fog light circuit has power.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Feb 2010, 10:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Fog Lamps.... Just did both MFS repairs, not working

I was driving in some fog tonight, and pulled out on the fog light switch, and the green fog light came on!! I just about shi* my pants.. I pulled off to the shoulder of the interstate and they were on! I'm not sure what happened this past week since I did the copper fix, and the screw fix on the handle itself, but it's working great now!!!! I am sooooo happy right now I could scream... Man this is by far the best used car I have ever purchased. I am loving my PT Limited!