PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Coolant for 2002 Limited Edition PT

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08 Feb 2010, 12:50 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1
Default Coolant for 2002 Limited Edition PT

Hi everyone. I just purchased a 2002 limited edition cruiser. I'm very happy with it and want to take great care of it. I noticed in the manual that a special coolant is required and that not just any coolant can be used. Seems that it needs to be a red coolant that is a dealer only product. I hear a rumor that Prestone makes a coolant that mixes with any other coolant without harm. Anyone know of this or know about this issue in general. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08 Feb 2010, 01:12 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Idaho
Posts: 48
Default Re: Coolant for 2002 Limited Edition PT

http://partimages.genpt.com/partimages/213997.jpg

Zerex G-05 Antifreeze / Coolant
Valvoline.com > Products > Zerex > Antifreeze Zerex > Zerex G-05 Antifreeze / Coolant

Available @ NAPA.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08 Feb 2010, 05:23 am
767skyking's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Inland Empire Ca
Posts: 754
Default Re: Coolant for 2002 Limited Edition PT

Do a search on this site.... I think people had some problems using these coolants. I have just rebuilt an engine for a 2002 and used OEM. I personally would not take the chance.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09 Feb 2010, 02:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Detroit
Posts: 6
Default Re: Coolant for 2002 Limited Edition PT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezfan123 View Post
Hi everyone. I just purchased a 2002 limited edition cruiser. I'm very happy with it and want to take great care of it. I noticed in the manual that a special coolant is required and that not just any coolant can be used. Seems that it needs to be a red coolant that is a dealer only product. I hear a rumor that Prestone makes a coolant that mixes with any other coolant without harm. Anyone know of this or know about this issue in general. Thanks.
Hello,
I am the technical manager for Prestone coolants. Being a 2002, you are more than overdue for a coolant change. The OE coolant in your PT is a OAT (organic acid technology) long life coolant. It is rated for 5 years or 100k miles, (whichever comes first). That being said, you should drain your coolant completely and refill with Prestone extended life coolant (or the long life OAT coolant of your choice). Our coolant is completely compatible with your PT cooling system. If you have any further questions about coolants or cooling systems, feel free to contact me at Jay.Buckley@honeywell.com
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09 Feb 2010, 05:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Idaho
Posts: 48
Default Re: Coolant for 2002 Limited Edition PT

For what it's worth.
June 2006, NAD: "Honeywell's claim that Prestone can be used in vehicles of 'all makes, all models' was not substantiated."

Case number: 4458 (2/27/2006)
Advertiser: Honeywell Consumer Products Group
Product: Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant / NARB Panel #134
Challenger: The Valovoline Company
Category: Automobiles / Accessories / Rentals
Search
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09 Feb 2010, 06:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Detroit
Posts: 6
Cool Re: Coolant for 2002 Limited Edition PT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinosa View Post
For what it's worth.
June 2006, NAD: "Honeywell's claim that Prestone can be used in vehicles of 'all makes, all models' was not substantiated."

Case number: 4458 (2/27/2006)
Advertiser: Honeywell Consumer Products Group
Product: Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant / NARB Panel #134
Challenger: The Valovoline Company
Category: Automobiles / Accessories / Rentals
Search
NAD is an advertising regulating industry. Valvoline challenged our claims and we stick by what we say. There is nothing to this at all. We have sold hundreds of millions of gallons since this product was introduced in 2004. We have no warranty issues related to our claims. Prestone is a OE coolant to supplier to many car manufacturers. Since we did not discontinue this product after this, most of our competitors have released similar products with similar claims.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09 Feb 2010, 06:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Detroit
Posts: 6
Default Re: Coolant for 2002 Limited Edition PT

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorking View Post
NAD is an advertising regulating industry. Valvoline challenged our claims and we stick by what we say. There is nothing to this at all. We have sold hundreds of millions of gallons since this product was introduced in 2004. We have no warranty issues related to our claims. Prestone is a OE coolant to supplier to many car manufacturers. Since we did not discontinue this product after this, most of our competitors have released similar products with similar claims.
I would like to add that anyone opening the link you provide read it all the way to the bottom. Prestone respectfully and clearly states why they believe Valvoline and NAD are wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11 Feb 2010, 07:47 pm
VNT's Avatar
VNT VNT is offline
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NE
Posts: 1,466
Default Re: Coolant for 2002 Limited Edition PT

I thought the Mopar Orange and G-05 were HOAT, hybrid organic.

Is OAT one in the same??

I just drain my rad and refill with 50/50 mix of the orange and distilled water once a year.


Quote:
Originally Posted by motorking View Post
Hello,
I am the technical manager for Prestone coolants. Being a 2002, you are more than overdue for a coolant change. The OE coolant in your PT is a OAT (organic acid technology) long life coolant. It is rated for 5 years or 100k miles, (whichever comes first). That being said, you should drain your coolant completely and refill with Prestone extended life coolant (or the long life OAT coolant of your choice). Our coolant is completely compatible with your PT cooling system. If you have any further questions about coolants or cooling systems, feel free to contact me at Jay.Buckley@honeywell.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2002 PT Cruiser Limited Edition rims for sale junior52 Classifieds: For Sale/Trade 1 31 Jan 2009 11:29 am
Unique retro-rod style 2002 Limited Edition retro_rod Classifieds: For Sale/Trade 7 26 Jan 2008 10:33 am
2002 PT Cruiser Limited Edition (san rafael) $10600 skylight craigslist 0 19 Jul 2007 02:41 pm
2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser, Limited Edition (cupertino) $8000 skylight craigslist 0 08 Jul 2007 04:10 pm
2002 Limited Edition - StoneWhite For Sale Cruizin2k Classifieds: For Sale/Trade 4 28 Jun 2004 10:50 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors