Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Coolant for 2002 Limited Edition PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Feb 2010, 12:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Coolant for 2002 Limited Edition PT

Hi everyone. I just purchased a 2002 limited edition cruiser. I'm very happy with it and want to take great care of it. I noticed in the manual that a special coolant is required and that not just any coolant can be used. Seems that it needs to be a red coolant that is a dealer only product. I hear a rumor that Prestone makes a coolant that mixes with any other coolant without harm. Anyone know of this or know about this issue in general. Thanks.
Old 08 Feb 2010, 01:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Coolant for 2002 Limited Edition PT

http://partimages.genpt.com/partimages/213997.jpg

Zerex G-05 Antifreeze / Coolant
Valvoline.com > Products > Zerex > Antifreeze Zerex > Zerex G-05 Antifreeze / Coolant

Available @ NAPA.
Old 08 Feb 2010, 05:23 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Do a search on this site.... I think people had some problems using these coolants. I have just rebuilt an engine for a 2002 and used OEM. I personally would not take the chance.
Old 09 Feb 2010, 02:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezfan123 View Post
Hi everyone. I just purchased a 2002 limited edition cruiser. I'm very happy with it and want to take great care of it. I noticed in the manual that a special coolant is required and that not just any coolant can be used. Seems that it needs to be a red coolant that is a dealer only product. I hear a rumor that Prestone makes a coolant that mixes with any other coolant without harm. Anyone know of this or know about this issue in general. Thanks.
Hello,
I am the technical manager for Prestone coolants. Being a 2002, you are more than overdue for a coolant change. The OE coolant in your PT is a OAT (organic acid technology) long life coolant. It is rated for 5 years or 100k miles, (whichever comes first). That being said, you should drain your coolant completely and refill with Prestone extended life coolant (or the long life OAT coolant of your choice). Our coolant is completely compatible with your PT cooling system. If you have any further questions about coolants or cooling systems, feel free to contact me at Jay.Buckley@honeywell.com
Old 09 Feb 2010, 05:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

For what it's worth.
June 2006, NAD: "Honeywell's claim that Prestone can be used in vehicles of 'all makes, all models' was not substantiated."

Case number: 4458 (2/27/2006)
Advertiser: Honeywell Consumer Products Group
Product: Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant / NARB Panel #134
Challenger: The Valovoline Company
Category: Automobiles / Accessories / Rentals
Search
Old 09 Feb 2010, 06:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Re: Coolant for 2002 Limited Edition PT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinosa View Post
For what it's worth.
June 2006, NAD: "Honeywell's claim that Prestone can be used in vehicles of 'all makes, all models' was not substantiated."

Case number: 4458 (2/27/2006)
Advertiser: Honeywell Consumer Products Group
Product: Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant / NARB Panel #134
Challenger: The Valovoline Company
Category: Automobiles / Accessories / Rentals
Search
NAD is an advertising regulating industry. Valvoline challenged our claims and we stick by what we say. There is nothing to this at all. We have sold hundreds of millions of gallons since this product was introduced in 2004. We have no warranty issues related to our claims. Prestone is a OE coolant to supplier to many car manufacturers. Since we did not discontinue this product after this, most of our competitors have released similar products with similar claims.
Old 09 Feb 2010, 06:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorking View Post
NAD is an advertising regulating industry. Valvoline challenged our claims and we stick by what we say. There is nothing to this at all. We have sold hundreds of millions of gallons since this product was introduced in 2004. We have no warranty issues related to our claims. Prestone is a OE coolant to supplier to many car manufacturers. Since we did not discontinue this product after this, most of our competitors have released similar products with similar claims.
I would like to add that anyone opening the link you provide read it all the way to the bottom. Prestone respectfully and clearly states why they believe Valvoline and NAD are wrong.
Old 11 Feb 2010, 07:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

I thought the Mopar Orange and G-05 were HOAT, hybrid organic.

Is OAT one in the same??

I just drain my rad and refill with 50/50 mix of the orange and distilled water once a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorking View Post
Hello,
I am the technical manager for Prestone coolants. Being a 2002, you are more than overdue for a coolant change. The OE coolant in your PT is a OAT (organic acid technology) long life coolant. It is rated for 5 years or 100k miles, (whichever comes first). That being said, you should drain your coolant completely and refill with Prestone extended life coolant (or the long life OAT coolant of your choice). Our coolant is completely compatible with your PT cooling system. If you have any further questions about coolants or cooling systems, feel free to contact me at Jay.Buckley@honeywell.com