Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Power Steering Trouble Help Please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Feb 2010, 01:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Power Steering Trouble Help Please!

Newbie to the forums I am, but I was hoping for some of you to give me your expert opinions

I have a 2001 PT with a 5 speed 2.4L engine. About 10 days ago I noticed this sound, some have posted that they've heard it too, kinda like someone scratchin vinyl. Not long after it reminded me of a power steering system that was low on fluid.

I checked my reservior and the level was fine. It has also made a whining noise for a couple of days. Now, it feels like I'm driving a tank! I have to really put some muscle into steering, and sharp turns take a long time, and must be done slowly.

From all that I've read these past couple of days, I think its the power steering pump, but before I get into doing a replacement, I want to make sure I'm on he right track. I've registered on Autozone's website to get access to their procedure for the PT's steering pump replacement. It looks like its going to be a real bear, and the better part of a day. It lists torque wrenches and a claw wrench as part of the required tools to do the job, also it states to use Mopar ATF +4 Tranny fluid only when refilling the system.

Any pointers or reccomendations would be greatly appreciated. My PT has 106,000 miles. Thanks!
Old 09 Feb 2010, 02:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Power Steering Trouble Help Please!

Welcome to the forum.
Sure the belt isn't shot before you replace the pump? If belt is slipping, pump can't do it's job.
Yes, it takes ATF + 4.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Feb 2010, 03:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree with QSD. Your mileage is right at the time where the timing belt should be replaced. Usually it just snaps but we have heard of the belt starting to slip before it gives way and causing problems.

If it is the pump, here's a thread with an owner talking about the basics of changing it...

Replacing power steering

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Feb 2010, 03:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Wink Re: Power Steering Trouble Help Please!

Thanks for the responses guys! I will purchase everything neccessary to replace the pump, but if it turns out to be just the belt, I'll pay the restocking fee and return the pump.

Crewzin, haven't looked at the timing belt issue yet, but if I think I can pull it off while I've got everything off, perhaps it would be wise to replace the timing belt as well?

Will I need a very experienced tech to line it up, or do you all think I can swing it myself?

Thanx
Old 09 Feb 2010, 03:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have no idea of your technical expertise but even the best of the bunch say the timing belt is not for amateurs. It's a 5 to 7 hour job and things have to be aligned just right or the job has to be done over. Quite a few do-it-yourselfers and even owners that have taken their PT to a mechanic that's never worked on a PT, have come back with idle problems that turned out to be a misaligned timing belt.

I think it will be a completely separate job between the steering pump and the timing belt as I've never heard of anyone saying they had to touch anything related to the steering when they did the timing belt.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.