Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Power locks don't work

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Feb 2010, 04:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Power locks don't work

I have a 2002 limited cruiser and for some reason the power locks don't work. Neither does the keyless entry remote. We've replaced the fuse under the dash and that didn't help, we looked in the fuse panel under the hood and it doesn't show a fuse for the locks.

when I turn the lights on the little green light on the door lock button lights up.

What could possibly be wrong?
Old 09 Feb 2010, 05:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Power locks don't work

Welcome to the forum, again.

The power locks work from the RKEM (Remote Keyless Entry Module) located in the dash. Here's where.....

You said you checked the fuses in the PDC (Power Distribution Center) that's located in the engine compartment. The No# 10 fuse is for the RKEM and it might be your problem.

The little green light is supposed to light up whenever the headlights are on. Chrysler did away with those lights in latter years. They are there to help you see the lock/unlock button at night. They have nothing to do with the workings of the lock.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 09 Feb 2010 at 05:52 pm.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 01:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Welcome to the forum, again.

The power locks work from the RKEM (Remote Keyless Entry Module) located in the dash. Here's where.....

You said you checked the fuses in the PDC (Power Distribution Center) that's located in the engine compartment. The No# 10 fuse is for the RKEM and it might be your problem.

The little green light is supposed to light up whenever the headlights are on. Chrysler did away with those lights in latter years. They are there to help you see the lock/unlock button at night. They have nothing to do with the workings of the lock.
Thanks for the diagrams ^_^

On my fusebox under the hood it doesn't show anything on the layout of power door locks being there. Do you think it may be a different lid?

We are still having trouble with the alarm going off randomly now when all the doors are shut and it goes off when you open the back doors.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 04:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The layout of fuses under the hood is listed in the owners manual, not on the lid.

Why your alarm is going off, I can't answer.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 04:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
The layout of fuses under the hood is listed in the owners manual, not on the lid.

Why your alarm is going off, I can't answer.
Thanks for all the help, we went to the junkyard and got one of those boxes from a wrecked PT for 40$ and it works amazingly now. I'm so happy it was just that.

Thanks again.
Old 08 Aug 2013, 01:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

CREWSIN.......... I seem to be having a problem with my door locks not working. The switches on the door panel don't work at all. The remote ONLY works with the light turned on. Do my symptoms also seem to point to the RKEM? I've checked ALL my fuses under the dash and under the hood and they all check out good. Your thoughts?
Old 08 Aug 2013, 05:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Power locks don't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by XOXOXO View Post
I seem to be having a problem with my door locks not working. The switches on the door panel don't work at all. The remote ONLY works with the light turned on.
Your saying all 4 door lock switches don't work? (2 doors for convertible PTs),and neither does remote?........It sure sounds like the RKE module,which is located under the center of the dash(exposed to alot of heat from the sun).....A new/used RKE module may correct the problem with the switches,but if you only have 1 remote(you need 2 to program them to the RKE),you will need to go to a dealer to have them use a DRB III scantool to get the remotes to work with the new/used RKE module;I have the exact problem,and I found a replacement (used) RKE on Ebay for $48.97 (not bad at all) considering the dealer wanted $268.00 for one!!!!!......I also purchased a new remote for $14.88 also on Ebay (I need to get it programmed) because I had the exact problem your experiencing......My local dealer said they charge $70.00 to program my remote to the RKE......But,with a replacement RKE your will have the switches,key functions,and even the speed sensitive door locking feature....Just NO remote function,till you get them programmed,and the dealer is the only one I have found that has the DRB III scantool....They cost anywhere fron $4,000(used) to $8,000 (new)
Old 08 Aug 2013, 06:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Randy! All things considered, I think I'll just leave like it is given the expense. Thanks Again!
Old 08 Aug 2013, 06:57 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Power locks don't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by XOXOXO View Post
Thanks Randy! All things considered, I think I'll just leave like it is given the expense. Thanks Again!
Well,if you change your mind here's a reasonable one for sale on Ebay for $59.99+Free Shipping: 02 08 Door BCM ECU PT Cruiser Door ECU Keyless Entry 5293040AH H | eBay (Your door lock switches & keyed features should work again,and that price is about $200+ less than dealer wants;Also takes about 30 minutes to install.)

Last edited by randyincctx; 08 Aug 2013 at 07:00 pm.
Old 06 Mar 2017, 01:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser, Limited Edition...and the power locks work intermittently with the Fob. So basically, it doesn't unlock any door. When this happens and I use my actual key to unlock the doors, I have to hold the key to the Unlock position or else even the key won't unlock the doors. My fob tends to be ineffective mostly during high humidity. Anybody have a direction?

Last edited by kathydthree; 06 Mar 2017 at 01:59 pm.