Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Markings don't line up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Feb 2010, 01:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Markings don't line up

I drive a 2002 PT Cruiser 2.4L. I have a blown head gasket and I am at the point where I need to take the timing belt off. The markings on the camshaft don't line up when I have the markings on the crankshaft lined up and when I line up the camshaft markings the crankshaft doesn't line up. Is one more important than the other? I had someone ( a certified mechanic?) change my water pump ( at his home garage) before my head gaskets blew and at first they didn't put the timing belt back on correctly and it ran rough. I had him fix it but since my car has been down for almost a year ( so my wife reminds me) I don't remember if it ran correctly before I parked it. Some guys at work said I need to line up my crankshaft marking and then after I have the timing belt off I need to line up my camshaft markings before I take the head off? Since my car overheated a few time I'm having the head checked for warpage and leakage but should I put a new water put in again? Does anyone have any information for me? I'm wondering if I need to correct the problem but I don't know how to do it and my Chilton book does not tell me the answer.
Old 10 Feb 2010, 06:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Markings don't line up

There is a trick to this... Set the crank on the mark, line the camshafts up with each other (Make sure the sprockets are on the right way. They will go on backwards. If I remember correctly they are marked with "this side out for 2.4" or something like that.) Put the belt on the crank pulley and run it up to the intake cam. Move the intake cam slightly clockwise to catch the belt and then back to tighten the belt up. Turn the exhaust cam SLightly clockwise and run the belt across then turn it back. Run the belt back to the crank and tighten. It sounds a lot harder than it is. When your done turn the crankshaft 2 full turns and check you timing marks. I've done 100's and still miss it occasionally.