Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rough Idle/Missing Under Load Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Feb 2010, 03:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rough Idle/Missing Under Load Etc.

Hello, all....

I have a 2001, not turbo or anything. Manual transmission. Anyways, a few months ago it started running rough. Checked the code and it indicated a misfire in cylinder one. Pulled the spark plug on it, and it was soaked in oil. Replaced valve cover gasket, plugs and wires. Things seemed better for a bit. Now it's dying out when I stop, engine misses and skips on acceleration, etc. I was thinking maybe crummy injectors at first, but I'm pretty sure I'm smelling gas now (my sense of smell sucks), so now I'm leaning towards the fuel pump....

Thoughts?

Thanks for bothering with my post...

Last edited by MattTee; 12 Feb 2010 at 03:55 pm.
Old 12 Feb 2010, 05:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rough Idle/Missing Under Load Etc.

With no codes to go by it's hard to pinpoint your problem. The fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank in the rear of the PT. It would be more likely you have a leaky injector than problems with the pump.

Also, I don't see the connection how changing the valve cover gasket fixed the problem of the spark plug being soaked in oil. Did you buy the whole kit to replace the spark plug hole seal? That's more likely the cause of the oil on the plug.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Feb 2010, 05:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, I bought the whole kit so I could replace the rings. I know the fuel pump is in the tank. I know running the tank low can cause issues with the fuel pump, and of course, my wife always runs it down to near empty.

Thinking it could be the coil also, considering the code yelling about the cylinder misfire.
Old 12 Feb 2010, 05:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Possible but the coil is pretty bullit-proof from what we've seen on the forum. Did you pull the plug again to see if it's clean? Check the vacuum lines and electrical connections since you had the upper manifold off.

Also make sure all the wires are plugged in tight (both ends) and the gap on the plugs should be at .040 in

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Feb 2010, 05:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've checked all the hoses, tubes, wires...etc. and the plug is clean. Interestingly, I've read a lot of not-so-great things about the coils.

Essentially, it feels a lot like a car made 40 years ago feels like when the distributor is advanced and totally hosed.
Old 12 Feb 2010, 06:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, that's it from me. Hopefully someone will come along and give you another suggestion. You might end up taking someplace that has a scanner to try and pinpoint what's wrong. The fault codes are nice but they don't show everything.

Old 12 Feb 2010, 07:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank for the help. I can get a hold of a scanner....
Old 28 Feb 2010, 10:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Was the coil the root cause?
Old 14 Sep 2010, 01:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTee View Post
Yes, I bought the whole kit so I could replace the rings. I know the fuel pump is in the tank. I know running the tank low can cause issues with the fuel pump, and of course, my wife always runs it down to near empty.

Thinking it could be the coil also, considering the code yelling about the cylinder misfire.
Well, if you did bought a whole new kit along with the coil rings. I think it might solve the problem especially that you're suspecting the coil but why not let a mechanic do the check just to be safe and sure before installing the new kit you bought.
Old 03 Oct 2012, 07:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry to resurect a old thread, but I'm just hoping that someone can help me out. I just recently purchased a 2005 PT Cruiser, 2.4L, non turbo, with just under 80,000 miles. The problem that I have is that the car misses/surges/bucks at idle (not at speed) when it's cold, but as soon as it warms up it idles fine. The check enging light does not come on and when checked for codes no codes are found. All maintainance is up to date and I replaced the copper core plugs with double platinum plugs. The symtom has not changed after the plug swap so I don't think the plugs are the problem. I also ran through a full tank of gas with a can of seafoam added before the spark plug change. Any ideas?